Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel Mesa Driver Gets Closer To OpenGL 3.0

Phoronix: The Intel Mesa Driver Gets Closer To OpenGL 3.0

The open-source Mesa / Gallium3D Linux drivers not only take heat for their slow performance (in many cases, dreadfully slow) compared to the proprietary drivers, their bugs causing issues like those with KWin, and their inability to run many games/applications, but also for their very belated support in enabling support for new OpenGL extensions and versions of the GL Shading Language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a intel graphics owner i very excited for this. I wan't my X3TC, damnit. Anybody even knows what kind of patents they are consedered of

Comment

GLSL 1.30 was started months ago. The documentation was recently updated to reflect this, but it is still not news to anyone who has been paying attention to Mesa development.

Comment

why it is so difficult for intel to move to Gallium3d???

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          why it is so difficult for intel to move to Gallium3d???
          Various excuses. Dave Airlie said this in #intel-gfx the other day

Code:
          <airlied> its like the gallium argument also, a) gallium isn't ready b) we'd have to rewrite our driver
          <airlied> so a isn't true any more, and b is happening to move to GLSL IR
          <airlied> so b was just an excuse
          I'll probably happen eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            Various excuses. Dave Airlie said this in #intel-gfx the other day

Code:
            <airlied> its like the gallium argument also, a) gallium isn't ready b) we'd have to rewrite our driver
            <airlied> so a isn't true any more, and b is happening to move to GLSL IR
            <airlied> so b was just an excuse
            I'll probably happen eventually.
            just out of curiosity

is there any timeframe for that or "official" info by the devs??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              just out of curiosity

is there any timeframe for that or "official" info by the devs??
              No. Not even any plans that I know of.

Comment

I'll probably happen sometime after i915g is in a more or less stable state, which can still take a while.

Any yes, people interested in the development going on in mesa should just bookmark the cgit and take a look once every day.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                  I'll probably happen sometime after i915g is in a more or less stable state, which can still take a while.
                  No, it will never happen if they don't code for gallium
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It's definitely not going to happen unless Gallium gets ported to support GLSL IR instead of (or in addition to) TGSI. Intel developed that IR themselves, and seem pretty in love with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X