No announcement yet.

The New R300 Register Allocator Is Still Being Developed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As there is no trine benchmark i used openarena to figure out the expected speed with quake live at lowest settings - and had to see that not all drivers are performance tuned, therefore i repeated the tests with settings which disabled vsync (or used max performance mode for nouveau) - a bit hard to read however (2 test systems used, lots of gfx cards/drivers):

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I also tested my Ion netbook (first 2 tests ran at 800 mhz, the last 2 at 1600 mhz):

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Something that would help bring more paid developers in would be for parts of Linux open source drivers being used in other things. One of the complaints I've heard leveled at Khronos and OpenGL is that they don't provide a driver component like Microsoft does. What if Khronos used Gallium3d for this component to be provided for all drivers. The only problem is that I doubt this would ever even be considered unless Gallium could approach parity with the blobs. Google might be able to pressure video card makers for their android phones to use first rate open source drivers. If they used mesa and Gallium3d, then we would have more firms helping. Unfortunately, a similar chicken and egg conundrum exists here as my last possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        you don't get an important point... an R700 is an r600 with extras and a southern island chip is an r600 with extras and an northern island chip is an r600 with extras. the general architecture chances are only r300,r600,r900
        Then why does HDMI audio work on R600/700 but not on Evergreen or Nothern Island? Why didn't my Evergreen card work at all first, but R600/700 did? Because they're not the same with extras. They're different. Yes, some changes are smaller and some - like general architecture changes - are larger, but they all have changes. Nothing will work on a new generation without an updated driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
          Then why does HDMI audio work on R600/700 but not on Evergreen or Nothern Island? Why didn't my Evergreen card work at all first, but R600/700 did? Because they're not the same with extras. They're different. Yes, some changes are smaller and some - like general architecture changes - are larger, but they all have changes. Nothing will work on a new generation without an updated driver.
          Right. The fundamental difference between CPUs and GPUs here is that CPUs are expected to do the *same* thing every year (run a slowly changing set of x86 binaries) while GPUs are expected to do *different* things every year or two (new graphics features, new pipeline definitions, more programmable functionality for game developers etc..). If CPUs had a million lines of driver code between the x86 binary and the hardware you would be likely to see the same kind of evolution in the exposed CPU hardware -- instead CPUs evolve less (more execution units rather than totally different architecture) and hide that evolving functionality behind an instruction decoder rather than behind a driver.
          Test signature

Comment

The new register allocator just get merged in mesa master branch:
            http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...b51232a06bea42

It's also available in my Ubuntu Graphics Drivers PPA.

Comment

And the first bug discovered...

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              The new register allocator just get merged in mesa master branch.
              Bug raised here in bugzilla. Affects RV530, but not RV350.

Comment

Working...
              X