Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 15 Beta Released

Phoronix: Fedora 15 Beta Released

Fedora 15 is set to be released at the end of May, and with a month having passed since Fedora 15 Alpha, it's now time for Fedora 15 Beta. Dennis Gilmore has announced the release of Fedora 15 Beta. "I beta one American dollar that you will love this release!"..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And he's right ^^,

Comment

Tried the alpha. Gnome 3 looks very nice and runs well enough on the measly Eee PC 1000h I tried it on. That activities business seems to be very well implemented. I bet that on touch screens it's great to use. The whole system just crashed eventually and was left unresponsive, and there are still the typical gnome problems of dialogs too big to fit on small screens and no vertical scrollbar. This was the alpha, so I expect the beta to be more stable.

Comment

I tried the beta rc2. Very nice, only thing I don't like is the fonts in fedora are still HORRIBLE. It hurts my eyes to use it. Ubuntu has beautifully rendered fonts that I like even better than windows cleartype. my other qualm is gnome 3 doesn't work with fglrx so I am stuck with the open source driver which makes my laptop hot enough to melt through 3 feet of soild steel.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          I tried the beta rc2. Very nice, only thing I don't like is the fonts in fedora are still HORRIBLE.
          Yeah, I also thought something funny was going on with the font rendering, but I thought it was just some artifact of the alpha version.
          Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          ... so I am stuck with the open source driver which makes my laptop hot enough to melt through 3 feet of soild steel.
          That should come in handy when you end up trapped inside a bank vault.
          The fglrx issues should be fixed by the time the final version comes out hopefuly. I really liked gnome3, so I'll probably switch to it when it reaches a more stable/mature state. Maybe by version 3.2.

Comment

Working...
          X