Intel Mesa Gives Problems With KDE's KWin, Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
    What kind of racist remark are you talking of?

Imho his mail is indeed way too long and might apear arrogant instead of solution oriented. I doubt that devs who themselves have to cope with rare spare time they can invest in their projects are willing to read long rants in this regard.
    "We Germans are direct and speak the truth" etc. Such remarks have no place in (what should be) a technical discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      "We Germans are direct and speak the truth" etc. Such remarks have no place in (what should be) a technical discussion.
      Well but it is not racism per se. Though the "speak the truth" is in fact crap.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        This issue comes up every few months. The core problem here is that the KDE devs were writing new code which used OpenGL features that were just being implemented in the open drivers. Nothing wrong with that in principle but it requires fairly close communication between app and driver developers so everyone understands what should and should not work.
        Except that isn't what happened. The features that broke had been working for several releases by that point. They hadn't been significantly changed.

Comment

Using Mesa renderer string for determining features is the same stupid thing as using UserAgent string in browsers. Just test functionality and performance experimentally at runtime if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
            Using Mesa renderer string for determining features is the same stupid thing as using UserAgent string in browsers. Just test functionality and performance experimentally at runtime if needed.
            The functionality tests caused the system to crash. That's why drivers were blacklisted -- even testing functionality and performance caused them to crash.

Comment

isn't it great? They do a stupid change (idiotic even) and when people (rightfully) complain, they shut them down.

And people are surprised that there aren't more mesa/driver devs.

Btw, which users are more important than the composite using window managers?
              Games? Surely not - since opensource drivers, especially intel's suck way to much for that. CAD? Don't try to be funny. There is a reason workstation drivers (from amd and nvidia) are seldomly updated and certified to run workstation applications.
              So what is left - xmms ogl analyzer plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                isn't it great? They do a stupid change (idiotic even) and when people (rightfully) complain, they shut them down.

And people are surprised that there aren't more mesa/driver devs.

Games? Surely not - since opensource drivers, especially intel's suck way to much for that. CAD? Don't try to be funny. There is a reason workstation drivers (from amd and nvidia) are seldomly updated and certified to run workstation applications.
                It seems they care only what Red Hat does, my friend. Some of them were saying they're testing drivers to work with gnome shell well. Since gnome shell sucks and even Ubuntu won't ship it, it doesn't even matter if OS drivers works well with it or not. Others have to suffer, because of idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
                  Well but it is not racism per se. Though the "speak the truth" is in fact crap.
                  Positive racism is still racism.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Plus, his racist remark was very ill-conceived.

Thumbs up for spotting it.

Originally posted by energyman
                    If I look at my use case, window managers are pretty low down the list of stuff that needs care from mesa, because I don't use a composite desktop. Though to be fair, this is a chicken and egg problem, I would probably use kwin's compositor if it performed well enough with my hardware/drivers...But yeah, I asked myself the same question, who are the most important users of mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      It seems they care only what Red Hat does, my friend. Some of them were saying they're testing drivers to work with gnome shell well. Since gnome shell sucks and even Ubuntu won't ship it, it doesn't even matter if OS drivers works well with it or not. Others have to suffer, because of idiocy.
                      Are you serious? They are perfectly willing to test Gnome but flat-out refuse to test KDE? So they work hard to make sure Firefox works, work hard to make sure Gnome works, but knowingly break KDE?

Comment

Working...
                      X