Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    No, that's completely not true.
    At least that's the situation under Windows. The drivers for the game products are pretty poor with professional OpenGL applications whereas nVidia's game cards run perfectly with professional applications.

Comment

Originally posted by macmus View Post
      the main question is:

"Will we get AIXGL support or not" if not i'm ready to get rid of my nootebook for e-bay auction
      It may/may not be in the first couple of cuts of the driver depending on how much work they had to do to get the new codebase in a form usable for Linux driver use that performs decently. To be honest, it's nice to have AIGLX, but if it doesn't perform any better than 50% the so-so performance levels that the old driver base had under Windows like we currently have, it's only of moderate usefulness to all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by ageha View Post
        At least that's the situation under Windows. The drivers for the game products are pretty poor with professional OpenGL applications whereas nVidia's game cards run perfectly with professional applications.
        Heh... That has less to do with the chips themselves and more to do with the drivers- there's a little bit of optimization involved with the workstation apps so that you may not see peak game performance from the FireGL cards (depends on the game, really- the workstation stuff doesn't do the same things the games do- pretty much all of them are that way...). Having said this, using the consumer drivers for ATI strips out a pre-compiler engine that combines immediate mode calls (which is what a workstation app uses...) into batch submissions of things like vertices, etc. NVidia's drivers do similar things, but their cards and drivers cope with immediate mode rendering better than ATI's does without the acceleration compiler front-end.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          It may/may not be in the first couple of cuts of the driver depending on how much work they had to do to get the new codebase in a form usable for Linux driver use that performs decently. To be honest, it's nice to have AIGLX, but if it doesn't perform any better than 50% the so-so performance levels that the old driver base had under Windows like we currently have, it's only of moderate usefulness to all of us.
          i am fully agreed but XGL was the only workaround for the non-supporting "eye-candys" FGLRX driver.

However XGL come with lot of performance lost, not to mention even playing with it on games. I would love to have beryl + some 3D game but i know it is not possible with XGL as it will do more crashes than ever ...

From the posts i realy do not know what should i count on from ATI side. I wish that driver is comming soon, so far there are even no official gossips about it. The only things we know are comming from this site

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Heh... That has less to do with the chips themselves and more to do with the drivers- there's a little bit of optimization involved with the workstation apps so that you may not see peak game performance from the FireGL cards (depends on the game, really- the workstation stuff doesn't do the same things the games do- pretty much all of them are that way...). Having said this, using the consumer drivers for ATI strips out a pre-compiler engine that combines immediate mode calls (which is what a workstation app uses...) into batch submissions of things like vertices, etc. NVidia's drivers do similar things, but their cards and drivers cope with immediate mode rendering better than ATI's does without the acceleration compiler front-end.
            Of course it has nothing to do with the GPU. However I don't understand why ATI doesn't try do follow nVidia. nVidia's GPUs are very well supported by XSI and Maya and even mental ray supports nVidia GPUs. nVidia's own Gelato is also a very powerful software renderer. Also it seems nVidia does more to open their GPUs for general purpose computing. The developer section on the AMD/ATI page is pretty outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by ageha View Post
              Of course it has nothing to do with the GPU. However I don't understand why ATI doesn't try do follow nVidia. nVidia's GPUs are very well supported by XSI and Maya and even mental ray supports nVidia GPUs. nVidia's own Gelato is also a very powerful software renderer. Also it seems nVidia does more to open their GPUs for general purpose computing. The developer section on the AMD/ATI page is pretty outdated.
              They've been chasing where they thought the dollars were- which was the wrong space, really. They went after market segments they had less strength in and left the other ones they DID have a handle on (Mac, OpenGL workstation space...) for ephemeral things such as DirectX (Read: X-Box 360...) support and their set-top and mobile device lines. While the mobile device lines have loads of potential, the others happen to be short-term revenue at the expense of sustainable revenue- it's all about appeasing the "shareholders" (Daytraders, you mean- if you're worrying about the share price over the next four quarters, you're not worrying about shareholders, you're worrying about sharesellers...).

Comment

No, there are no Linux drivers for the HD 2000 series yet but they will be available with the new driver in the near future.
                Patience is always rewarded
                So where are they Michael?

Comment

Umm... the R600/Radeon HD 2000 drivers have been available now since October... AMD.com for the closed-source fglrx Linux driver or get the RadeonHD driver from git.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I see no Linux driver for the Mobility Radeon HD 2600. It's not on the supported list here.
                    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux.html#172394

Comment

Their supported product list isn't the most accurate... They don't list the Radeon HD 3XXX components for the Linux driver chooser, but that too has been supported as well.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X