Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing fglrx for V5250 (Thinkpad T60p)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the X.Org Video Driver ABI?

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    No. It is correct.
    According to the log file:

Code:
    (II) Module ABI versions:
            X.Org Video Driver: 1.2

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
    (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
            ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
    Is v1.2 of this ABI backwards compatible to v1.0? I have heard of someone running WoW with 8.34.8 on Ubuntu 7.04, but his Xserver is using Video Driver ABI v1.1.

Comment

No difference changing DRI device permissions.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Normally it is just

Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
      EndSection
      I tried this suggestion too. Fedora 7 actually clobbers it with 0600 when the user logs in anyway, but I set it back to 0666. It made no difference, I am relieved to say. I'd hate to think which other user ID would have been involved if that had actually worked .

At this point, I can only conclude that there is a bug in the 8.40.4 driver that WoW / Wine is tripping over. And if anyone can please suggest any meaningful tests to narrow the problem down to the point where I can generate a useful bug report, then maybe there will be a snowball's chance in **** of this bug getting fixed in 8.41.x. (The only other OpenGL apps I have are xscreensavers - not exactly demanding!)

Comment

8.40.4 plays native Quake2 just fine.

I have installed QuakeForge's Quake2 v0.3, and it is working fine. I get about 50-something fps at 1280x1024.

Comment

You might want to add the omit dga stanza

in Section Module

under

Load "extmod"

(add at this point)

Code:
                SubSection "extmod"
                          Option      "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
                  EndSubSection
          I've had several episodes of grief with DGA running while playing WoW in wine

Comment

celestia 1.4.1 also fails miserably - must now blame driver.

The fact that celestia 1.4.1 also crashes immediately shows that I am not having a Wine/Warcraft issue here. Can anyone see a problem with this PCI entry please?

Code:
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5250] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                    Subsystem: Lenovo Unknown device 20a4
                    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
                    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
                    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
                    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
                    Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                    Region 1: I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
                    Region 2: Memory at ee100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
                    [virtual] Expansion ROM at ee120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
                            Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
                            Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag+
                            Device: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                            Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
                            Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                            Device: RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                            Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                            Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Port 0
                            Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                            Link: ASPM L0s L1 Enabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk+ ExtSynch-
                            Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x16
                    Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
                            Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000

Comment

Just general info:

off/disabled/false/0

or

on/enabled/true/1

are the same in the xorg.conf - you can use any of those, not needed to use only one type.

For 8.39.4+ I really see no working Composite support. Beryl has a fallback to Composite, when AIGLX is not working. That will not succeed with those drivers. Not even KDE transparency works without gfx glichtes.

Comment

Chris :
                have you tried turning off dga extensions in xorg.conf?

eg:

Code:
                Load "extmod"
                 SubSection "extmod"
                        EndSubSection
                This has a direct relevance to memory alocation issues ***at the 2d*** level which might influence other memory allocations in the driver. Lord knows with FireGL devices -- but I seem to recall that (somewhere back in 2006) someone posted a problem with wine, accelerated 2d graphics and using opengl on a firegl board.

There is in /etc/ati a bunch of files as well -- key being amdpcsdb or something like that - -whats in there please?

Comment

I did try that...

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                  Chris :
                  have you tried turning off dga extensions in xorg.conf?
                  Yes, I did try putting that line in there. But from reading Xorg.0.log afterwards I'm not entirely sure that the X server picked it up.

There is in /etc/ati a bunch of files as well -- key being amdpcsdb or something like that - -whats in there please?
                  I'll dig those out for you...

Comment

&quot;omit xfree86-dga&quot; made no difference

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                    Code:
                    Load "extmod"
                     SubSection "extmod"
                            EndSubSection
                    No, I still get the same memory error allocating the surface when I try to run Warcraft.

There's also often (but not always) a strange "NMI" error when the fglrx driver loads - "Spurious NMI on CPU1 for unknown reason b1" or something like that. It then tries to say that this is probably a hardware problem on the PCI bus, but this is a brand new Core 2 Duo laptop with a new FireGL chip. I'm guessing I will need to cross my fingers for the brand new ATI driver, unless there is a sudden frenzy of avivo development.

Here it is:
                    Code:
                    AMDPCSDBV1
                    [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/LibXUtil/Display1]
                    Map=V0
                    Enable=V1
                    [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX]
                    Centermode=Soff
                    PseudoColorVisuals=Soff
                    OpenGLOverlay=Soff
                    VideoOverlay=Son
                    FSAAEnable=Soff