X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still need help

Thanks for responding so fast.

Sorry to be so inept at this but can you give me some pointers as how to:
    update to Xserver 1.3 in order to use the driver.
    I looked on synaptic but I couldn't figure out what exactly to get.

Also when I skip
    "git checkout origin/randr-1.2"
    and type
    "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/"
    inside "~/xf86-video-ati$"
    I get

"Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/autoreconf2.50 line 182.
    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/autoreconf2.50 line 182.
    Can't exec "automake": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/autoreconf2.50 line 183.
    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/autoreconf2.50 line 183.
    autoreconf2.50: Entering directory `.'
    autoreconf2.50: configure.ac: not using Gettext
    autoreconf2.50: running: aclocal --output=aclocal.m4t
    Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 290.
    autoreconf2.50: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory"

Don't really know what means...

Comment

Originally posted by captain-murphy View Post
      Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 290.
      You might want to make sure that the following packages are installed:
      * GNU make
      * autoconf 2.58 (or newer)
      * automake 1.8
      * libtool 1.5
      * m4
      You should also check for other versions of automake and install them as well, if supported by Ubuntu. Afterwards, try again.

Comment

Xserver 1.3 needs to be downloaded from a Gutsy repository or upgrade to a Gutsy testing release.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sorry for being terrible at this.

Thanks both of you for helping.
          I got all the packages you recomended and figured out how to get gusty in my respositories and then get x server 1.3, and things got a little bit further...

however I can't figure out why it doesn't work.
          For example for the first step: after

"xf86-video-ati: ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/"

The commands:
          "make"
          and
          "make install"
          Don't know what to do so they stop. Thus I don't know if the xf86 video ati is really installed at all.

I got 'make' and 'make install' to work for xrandr, however when I type the commands

xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
          xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600

It just accepts them and nothing happens. Nothing is being sent to me tv from my S-video...

Comment

Did you restart your computer (or X) after the make install of the radeon driver?
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes I turned it off and then started it back up and tried to type the
              "xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
              xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600"
              but nothing happened.

What exactly does "xf86-video-ati" do and how do I know if it's installed/working correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by captain-murphy View Post
                What exactly does "xf86-video-ati" do and how do I know if it's installed/working correctly?
                That is the actual driver itself... It sounded like you may have installed it correctly. Can you post your xorg.0.log from /var/log/ ?
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes, it's very long though, so I uploaded it to my old geocities account I had from hs.
                  Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

thats the log.

Comment

I seem to be stuck at the same place as captain-murphy

I have successfully compiled the and installed the xf86-video-ati driver and randr as described in the how-to referred to from the first post of this thread.

When I try to enable the tv-out manually by executing:
                    Code:
                    xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
                    xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
                    ... the following error occurs:
                    Code:
                    xrandr: cannot find crtc for output S-video
                    However, this error seems to be solved by disabling the DVI (My live monitor is connected to the VGA port) by
                    Code:
                    xrandr --output DVI-0 --off
                    But when I again try to enable the tv-out, the command seems to be accepted (no errors in the prompt) but my monitor picture increases the brightness a lot, and still no tv-out

I cannot understand the clues that might be in my x-server log, except the final lines look promising. Therefore I've posted my Xorg.0.log here, as it looks after a reboot and an attempt of manually enabling the tv-out as described above.

I will appreciate any comments a lot - Thanks

Background: I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Asus Pundit-r which has an onboard ATI Radeon 9100 IGP graphics card. I connect to my TV using an s-video cable and the described error occurs no matter if the TV-out is forced from the BIOS or not. Oh, and I'm in a PAL-B/G-land

Comment

I have been waiting for this for years. Thanks, guys, keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                      X