No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Driver Gets TV-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The workaround for enabling S-video ouput works quite well (taking from few minuts to one hour of xrandr commands in the loop to enable it) but I've found now that it might be something with the 'ntsc' and 'pal' standards controlled by xrandr (or maybe other commands, too). My TV (28" Daewoo CRT) supports both NTSC and PAL and before yesterday I had PAL signal (with that workaround) but I couldn't get NTSC signal and from yesterday I might get NTSC but not PAL (when I do "xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard ntsc"). The difference in video on TV is that before yesterday I've got black and white screen on AV2 option in TV and color screen on SVHS2 option (both options are for the same second Euro/Scart connection which supports S-video). From yesterday I've got proper color screen on both AV2 and SVHS2 TV options. Is there a way to check card enabled modes(?) other than xrandr? Maybe reading some registers? It all looks that driver thinks that card has enabled some mode for S-video but it really didn't do it.

Edit:
    I've checked driver and kernel version but it didn't change from the ones I've post before.
    Last edited by xeros; 03 December 2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I've done some more testing with xrandr commands and now I know my problem is connected to pal/ntsc tv_standard changing.

With commands (in script):
      Code:
      xrandr --output S-video --set load_detection 1
      xrandr --output S-video --auto
      xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
      xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard pal
      xrandr --output S-video --crtc 1
      xrandr --output S-video --same-as DVI-0
      for i in `seq 1000`; do xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard pal; xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard ntsc; done
      I get proper PAL signal after 2-3 minutes (tested 3 times with switching PC off/on and cutting the power between tests).
      Of course I'm switching off my monitor for this because of these very quick mode changes (even on monitor) with changing TV standards.

Before that I've tried:
      Code:
      xrandr --output S-video --auto
      xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
      xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard pal
      for i in `seq 1000`
      do
              xrandr --output S-video --crtc 1
              xrandr --output S-video --same-as DVI-0
              sleep 1
              xrandr --output S-video --set load_detection 0
              sleep 1

done
      to check if I can get the proper S-video output without need of mode changes of my monitor (connected to DVI-0) in time when TV output is switching but that didn't worked (I've been waiting more than an hour - maybe 1:30h, and I've run it three times in that time).

What do you think about it? Is it a hardware error or driver bug? Does anyone here use S-video output from R300 card to confirm it?

Comment

Hi,

I tested your script and it worked for me at first. Thanks a lot . It is the first time i got an image on the S-Video. I have a R350, i think. Well it is the PC of a friend.

After 2 or 3 reboot, where it worked, it stopped working and i just get a disturbed image which is flickering and unreadable.

But it does work, when i am booting or shutdown the PC at usplash and the BIOS Screens.

Any news about this bug? Would be very nice, if this could work, because it is a HTPC.

I didnt tested fglrx. because there is no version for Ubuntu Karmic and R350, right?

Cheers

Manuel

Comment

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you and I'm not the only one who has such problem.

With this garbage on the screen take a look at the 'xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard pal' and '... ntsc' commands. I would suggets you try both commands after you see 'something' on the TV screen.

I've got sometimes good PAL sometimes good NTSC S-video output but I haven't get both working (I didn't try to wait longer for both signals to work).
          But now with that simple script I get allways any signal on my TV in less than 5 minutes (for me it's not a matter if it's NTSC or PAL).

But be carefull - I don't know if it wont damage your card, TV or monitor (driver/hardware gurus should tell if it's safe or not, I don't know). It's changing settings as fast as your computer can. I allways switch off monitor for the time I use this script.

Edit:
          And about fglrx you're right - it wont work on ours cards in Karmic.

And for HTPC... I would suggest to make some changes to the script. If it could be possible to get somekind of signal if the TV output is OK or not it would be simple to make it work out of the box in Ubuntu starting sequence.
          But for now I haven't found anything to check it from the software.
          Btw. have you noticed that the TV output (colors. contrast, sharp image,...) is better in this open source driver than it was in fglrx before? :-)
          If our problem could be traced at the software/driver side then driver developers could fix or make a workaround for our problem.
          Last edited by xeros; 23 January 2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Well i didnt see the output with fglrx - just installed for my "windows" friend ubuntu.
            I'll try ntsc and pal commands these days, see what it can help.

I have the script in the bootup sequence, but if it does not work reliably it doesnt help a lot.

Is there any chance that we track down the problem in the driver? I have no experience in driver hacking, but C/C++ knowledge, but i am short in time atm. Maybe when my exams are done in 1-2 months.

Kind regards
            Manuel

Comment

Working...
            X