Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozenbyte Bundle Crosses $600k, Still Free Copies

Phoronix: Frozenbyte Bundle Crosses $600k, Still Free Copies

The pace of sales for the third Humble Indie Bundle that focuses upon games developed by Frozenbyte has slowed down, but this morning it just crossed $600k USD and it looks like it still can breach one million dollars during its two-week offering. We're also still doing a contest to give-away some free copies of this Frozenbyte game collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...but rather just waiting for a free demo rather than being charitable to one of the most Linux-friendly game studios.
    As far as I can tell, Unigine isn't a charity organization hiring only people with disabilities or using their profits to cure diseases in third-world countries, so why should people be charitable to a comercial company? If they want money, they should put out quality and/or attractive products, like every other comercial organization, and not depend on the good will of linux users. They should consider themselves lucky there are people willing to pay for an unfinished product from a company that hasn't produced a single game yet.

Comment

I agree. The HiB was well publicized and there are many people who have bought it previously and enjoyed it - they have returning customers. Unigine has a lot going against it. I haven't seen much publicizing, either. Regardless, I bought oilrush, and I hope it does better.

Comment

I'll probably buy it too when it's finished and if I enjoy the demo, but I only have a Radeon HD4200 so, I can't risk buying something that isn't guaranteed to run well on my system, or that I'm not too convinced about yet. I still have a feeling that the smaller units are way too small and that it may impact gameplay, but I won't pay 20$ just to test it.

Comment

Is Trine Linux compatible?
          I went to their site, to download a Demo, and I haven't found a Linux client.

Frozenbyte is an independent game developer with a focus on game quality. All Frozenbyte games are self-funded and based on self-owned IP.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
            The copy I got with the HIB works on Linux. Don't know if there's a demo or stand-alone copy for Linux available.

Also, in the article, I think this is uncalled for:

you find most of the Linux gamers not buying pre-ordering a copy, but rather just waiting for a free demo rather than being charitable to one of the most Linux-friendly game studios

Maybe most of us are thinking "Oh great, not ANOTHER RTS game..." about Oil Rush. I have absolutely no intention of buying Oil Rush, and it's not for being cheap, it's just that I really don't like RTS games, and even if I did, there are already plenty of FOSS RTS games available, why should I pay good money for yet another RTS?

I bought the HIB because Trine looked interesting. Although, I've been surprised to find that I'm playing Shadowgrounds more. I also plan to buy Dilogus when it is available, but there's no way I'd ever play Oil Rush, so why should I spend my money on it? To be "charitable" to a commercial game studio? I think not. Release a game that I want to play and I'll happily pay for it.

Comment

That was low playing the sympathy card for Oilrush , you may have pissed off people interested in buying the game now.
              Yes i bought Oilrush/pre-ordered whatever you want to call it because i was interested in supporting the company who were supposed to have the game ready for a spring 2011 debut if you recall but they didnt make the deadline and instead offered the beta as part of a pre-order bonus.
              So from a game selling stand point the are taking pre-orders for a game not being shipped/sold yet, i believe when its finished sales of oilrush will shoot up.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post

http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=buy

Eric Anholt commited a patch to mesa a couple of days ago to add support for ATI_draw_buffers, a requirement of Trine: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ce329cf67ecb4e

Comment

Just got it.

Average Linux amount for now, I'll boost it once all the games work with free drivers.

I really like these HiB promotions, and hope they continue. Great games at low price, supporting Linux, now drm, no middlemen, great stuff.

Comment

In our forums you find most of the Linux gamers not buying pre-ordering a copy, but rather just waiting for a free demo rather than being charitable to one of the most Linux-friendly game studios. I digress.
                    i don't see why this is a problem. people tend to only preorder when they're huge fans of something. other than some gpu benchmark demos, unigen hasn't really released anything to us. i agree in the sense that unigen deserves some support and respect, but, that needs to be earned. just because they made something graphically demanding that is linux compatible it doesn't mean it is any good. i'm sure if this game becomes a success and they make an expansion or a 2nd release, preorders will be much more abundant.

Comment

Working...
                    X