Looks Like Source-Engine Garry's Mod On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Every time Michael mentions steam on Linux his site traffic (and ad revenue) increases
    I would love to see actual proof of this claim. Some sort of hit count, charts, pay stubs from advertisers.

Originally posted by 3vi1
    But it doesn't. Not to any other single person not wearing rose-colored glasses.
    Sure Michael is a bit optimistic and excited about the prospect of Steam coming to Linux. You can't fault a person for that, and I have yet to see a single person demonstrate that's not what Michael actually believes. Phoronix has stuck by the story of popular Steam games coming to Linux for around a year or so now.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlitfire View Post
      Sure Michael is a bit optimistic and excited about the prospect of Steam coming to Linux. You can't fault a person for that, and I have yet to see a single person demonstrate that's not what Michael actually believes. Phoronix has stuck by the story of popular Steam games coming to Linux for around a year or so now.
      There is optimism and just plain crap journalism. Its one thing to be hopeful that something like STEAM would come to linux ( you either have the die-hard zealots that don't want drm on linux or you have the enthusiasts that would love this)
      Its another to get a report wrong and move on.
      Its completely different to keep beating the same dead horse claiming the original statement is still true

So we had: April 22, 2010
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!
      then losts of articles about a beta STEAM client, everything looked so good for linux!!!

This is the main article in question posted May 12, 2010. Ie almost a year ago
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam Mac OS X client to the general public and confirmed something we have been reporting for two years: the Steam content delivery platform and Source Engine are coming to Linux.
      This was big news! there was soo many people jumping up and down over this, this one article was linked on sooo many other websites ( which is what people were probably refering to w.r.t. increase ad revenue - problem is Phoronix over this last year has just become unbelievable w.r.t. Valve news)

Not once was any actual confirmation given, infact Valve did an announcement to state they are not actively working on a linux client
      Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Since that article other articles have been posted each providing more and more weight to the speculation (because without an actual valve statement it was just speculation)

So whats has gone on.
      Yes Valve were defiantly working on STEAM for linux, thats a give
      yes Phoronix kept every little finding well reported (and pulled soo many referal links, slashdot, timedoctor.org, www.xtremesystems.org for instance)
      Valve refuted such claims
      Postal3 (the biggest sign that SOURCE was coming to linux, maybe not STEAM) has news that the linux client was in doubt.

What is pissing people off is Phoronix/Michael just won't accept that he has done some serious bad journalism in the past and any slight valve/source/steam news then refers back to this "confirmed" article (where no confirmation is ever given).

STEAM probably is coming to linux, I would love it to, BUT the boy that cried wolf and the lack of professionalism surrounding what has basically been shown to be gossip posting by Phoronix is not improving their credibility in reporting all things linux. There are better more trusting ways to get upto date linux news.

If Valve went and reported that they were releasing a client tomorrow I would not believe it if Phoronix reported it, this site just cannot be trusted on this topic and it is starting to leach into other news topics

Comment

Sure Michael is a bit optimistic and excited about the prospect of Steam coming to Linux. You can't fault a person for that...
        I can when they post their optimism under the heading of "News" and not under "Wild Unconfirmed Speculation".

If Phoronix wants to be treated as a reliable source of information, this sort of stuff needs to be noted appropriately or relegated to an opinion/rumor column. Were this distinction to happen, I think Phoronix would be great.

Comment

If Valve went and reported that they were releasing a client tomorrow I would not believe it if Phoronix reported it, this site just cannot be trusted on this topic and it is starting to leach into other news topics
          This. Whenever I read something 'big' on Phoronix, I just assume it's not true, blown out of proportion, or otherwise not actually important. That's not a good image for an alleged news site.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
            How the heck do you know when you are blocking his ads?
            I block ads individually, not entirely. Sometimes the juxtaposition of Phoronix advertising Oprah is worth it, sometimes not.

What "racist" organizations?
            Some half-baked, tea-party "Oh no there is a black man in office and he's going to take all your money" organization that focused on the man and his skin tone not the policies.

Comment

If the articles posted on Phoronix bother you guys so much, why do you keep coming back? If you can't trust the verisimilitude of the material, why do you keep reading it? I'm not saying that you don't have valid points, but your behavior is curious.

If things suck as bad as you claim, why dontcha leave? It's as aggravating for some to read the groaning and complaining as it is to you to read Michael's reports about Valve.

What's your angle? I just want to know for my own curiosity's sake.

(Cue firestorm in 3... 2... 1...)

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                There is optimism and just plain crap journalism. Its one thing to be hopeful that something like STEAM would come to linux ( you either have the die-hard zealots that don't want drm on linux or you have the enthusiasts that would love this)
                Its another to get a report wrong and move on.
                Its completely different to keep beating the same dead horse claiming the original statement is still true
                I disagree that following possible leads/rumors and posting your findings to the public is bad journalism. There are plenty of tech blogs/news websites that do exactly that.I sort of like the fact that Michael posts this material, and is even responsible enough to point out that it may or may not be the case. That is exactly what happened in this instance, and I'm totally fine with the idea of someone being optimistic about Steam coming to Linux at some juncture. That's how I read the article, and I honestly think too many people are blowing things out of proportion.

I think often times people forget that freedom means freedom of choice too; which is why you have people lobbying against having a Steam client on Linux. People should have a right to choose DRM if they want it, and some do by using DRM laden software/hardware. Can anyone say they're truly free if everyone is making all the choices for them; regardless of whether those choices maybe bad or good? At current I think Linux is about choices; even though some people view this negatively and use ugly monikers for it like "fragmentation". (Sure it can complicate development under certain circumstances, but things aren't perfect under centralization either.)

If the articles posted on Phoronix bother you guys so much, why do you keep coming back? If you can't trust the verisimilitude of the material, why do you keep reading it? I'm not saying that you don't have valid points, but your behavior is curious.

If things suck as bad as you claim, why dontcha leave? It's as aggravating for some to read the groaning and complaining as it is to you to read Michael's reports about Valve.

I read the comments on ars technica and several other websites sometimes, and there are always a few people complaining about journalism or what have you. I'm with you in the sense that I like the positive discussion a lot better than the negative discussion, and it sometimes frustrates me to no end when searching through particular material to read nothing but complaints.

Comment

I disagree that following possible leads/rumors and posting your findings to the public is bad journalism. There are plenty of tech blogs/news websites that do exactly that.I sort of like the fact that Michael posts this material, and is even responsible enough to point out that it may or may not be the case. That is exactly what happened in this instance, and I'm totally fine with the idea of someone being optimistic about Steam coming to Linux at some juncture. That's how I read the article, and I honestly think too many people are blowing things out of proportion.

I think often times people forget that freedom means freedom of choice too; which is why you have people lobbying against having a Steam client on Linux. People should have a right to choose DRM if they want it, and some do by using DRM laden software/hardware. Can anyone say they're truly free if everyone is making all the choices for them; regardless of whether those choices maybe bad or good? At current I think Linux is about choices; even though some people view this negatively and use ugly monikers for it like "fragmentation". (Sure it can complicate development under certain circumstances, but things aren't perfect under centralization either.)

I read the comments on ars technica and several other websites sometimes, and there are always a few people complaining about journalism or what have you. I'm with you in the sense that I like the positive discussion a lot better than the negative discussion, and it sometimes frustrates me to no end when searching through particular material to read nothing but complaints.
                  I have nothing against posting rumours, and nothing against conjecture, but none of that is really "news", or even journalism. At the very least, if something is posted that's outright false, fess up and admit that.
                  The only "good' thing here is that nobody believes any of the news now, and Valve's reputation isn't damaged in any way. Bad news is, it casts a shadow over everything posted on Phoronix.

Comment

Well, Naib and yogi_berra don't believe it.

I'm not convinced that Michael is making stuff up though. Why? Because if I were in charge at Valve, all the silence, fuzzy side-steps, and secrecy is exactly how I would handle things. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be wrong for a good reason - the evidence thus far seems compelling.

But I'm not throwing a party until Valve makes a public announcement. I'll be content to anticipate and hope until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post

(Cue firestorm in 3... 2... 1...)
                      Your post is not nearly as confronting as you think it is.

Michael's reporting of graphics and hardware issues is pretty good. He is the only guy who really covers the graphics stack and X related desktop stuff in any depth. And most of his reporting is generally backed up with, you know, some form of documentary evidence. Like git logs, chat logs, quotations from people officially invovled with the projects..

His reporting of the Steam issue has none of those things. And he continues to pretend that somehow his information should be accepted by his readers at face value.

If Michael started reporting on the graphics and hardware related stuff with the same approach he took to Steam, then yes, I would leave the site.

Comment

Working...
                      X