New Girl on the Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Girl on the Block

Hello. I am new to this site and just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I am Jadeprincess. Nice to meet you all.

yay! japanese + girl. double bonus

konnichiwaaa ^__^

Comment

Welcome to alternative OS heaven!

Comment

This may ruffle some feathers, but am I the only curmudgeon around who feels that girls posting to say "Hey guys, what's up I'm a girl!" is off base when it comes to this forum? I'm a fan of girls just as much as the next nerd, but I see a trend that could get get... annoying I guess, and fairly quick. This is not the first time some girl (or someone who wants you to think they're a girl for some reason) has made a similar post.

My point is that you have never seen a post along the lines of:
        Originally posted by HipHunk
        Hey everyone! I'm the new guy on the block! Just thought I'd say hi, and by the way anyone wanna chat?
        There's a couple of reasons why you wouldn't see that type of post, but the most important is the reason that most people are coming here for the reason of getting information on Linux, Solaris, and other open source projects. Being a girl, boy, or whatever just doesn't come into play that much.

If I wanted to chat with a girl just because they are a girl, then I wouldn't be on this forum for that. If I want to chat with a girl about Linux stuff, then I would come here looking for a girl who is contributing to the Linux discussion. Making the above post is not contributing in any way to the Linux (and other open source) discussion.
        Last edited by joshuapurcell; 16 August 2007, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
          This may ruffle some feathers, but am I the only curmudgeon around who feels that girls posting to say "Hey guys, what's up I'm a girl!" is off base when it comes to this forum? I'm a fan of girls just as much as the next nerd, but I see a trend that could get get... annoying I guess, and fairly quick. This is not the first time some girl (or someone who wants you to think they're a girl for some reason) has made a similar post.

My point is that you have never seen a post along the lines of:

There's a couple of reasons why you wouldn't see that type of post, but the most important is the reason that most people are coming here for the reason of getting information on Linux, Solaris, and other open source projects. Being a girl, boy, or whatever just doesn't come into play that much.

If I wanted to chat with a girl just because they are a girl, then I wouldn't be on this forum for that. If I want to chat with a girl about Linux stuff, then I would come here looking for a girl who is contributing to the Linux discussion. Making the above post is not contributing in any way to the Linux (and other open source) discussion.
          Agreed. Very well said man. It is pretty rediculous hehehe.

Comment

(...) girls posting to say "Hey guys, what's up I'm a girl!" is off base when it comes to this forum?
            stating the obvious is always weird :]

Comment

How about we just don't make a big deal out of this?

we all know to watch out for Social engineering.

Basically we don't really care about the gender,
              it's not as if phoronix is a dating service.

Comment

Originally posted by rolz View Post
                How about we just don't make a big deal out of this?

we all know to watch out for Social engineering.

Basically we don't really care about the gender,
                Oh don't worry no one is taking it personal, I guess its just considered odd for this type of forum .

Comment

that is one hilarious idea. i'm still getting various funny ideas about combining "hardware reviews" and "girls"

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    that is one hilarious idea. i'm still getting various funny ideas about combining "hardware reviews" and "girls"
                    "As you know, at Phoronix, we recently opened up to Solaris, now, we are proud to announce that we are now opening up to dating as well. So for all you geeks out there that needs a woman, don't worry, we will take care of that ASAP. When you take your woman on a date, don't forget to post a review on the forums.

Don't forget pictures, a rating, and a detailed article to accompany the review. Also make sure you give a rating of 1-10, if she scores between a 8-10 it is automatically Phoronix approved."

Ratings should be used in this matter:

1 rating: You've been scar'd for life.

2 Rating: Don't touch with a 10 foot pole.

3 Rating: Don't touch with a 5 foot pole.

4 Rating: Avoid.

5 Rating: Use a paper bag.

6 Rating: Shes Okay.

7 Rating: Not bad.. Still some quirks.

8 Rating: Delicious. But just a couple things bother you.

9 Rating: Oh my. Words cannot describe this one.

10 Rating: There will be no review on a 10, instead, you just disappear. 10's in our books are not possible unless it is completely perfect in every way.

Hahahahaha.. I can see it now. Okay I went too far with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X