Upgrading Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Drivers?

I have a mobility radeon x1300 and im a little confused as to where the upgraded drivers are and how to install them

also, to use beryl do i only have to upgrade the ati driver of do i need the fglrx one? (as well as beryl itself)

sorry for the noob question

What Linux distribution are you using? Depending upon the distribution you can either use your distros packaging system or go to ati.com and download the driver.

Beryl isn't supported quite yet... Either wait a bit longer or use XGL with Beryl.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      What Linux distribution are you using? Depending upon the distribution you can either use your distros packaging system or go to ati.com and download the driver.

Beryl isn't supported quite yet... Either wait a bit longer or use XGL with Beryl.
      im using fedora 7 (the version on linux magazine a month or so ago)

how would i get XGL running and does it support my card?

thanks

Comment

XGL is rather dirty in my professional opinion but it's described in other forum threads here and if you do a Google search. XGL should run with any card and the fglrx driver.

Go to ati.com and download the latest (8.39.4) driver and run it with the --buildpkg Fedora/F7 argument to build the RPMs and then install those to get fglrx working.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

XGL is rather dirty in my professional opinion but it's described in other forum threads here and if you do a Google search. XGL should run with any card and the fglrx driver.

Go to ati.com and download the latest (8.39.4) driver and run it with the --buildpkg Fedora/F7 argument to build the RPMs and then install those to get fglrx working.
          well i think i just installed those (type a command then follow a gui installer right?) but when i configured the xorg.conf file with 'aticonfig -initial' and rebooted the xserver wouldnt start at all

also i can see the ati config center under applications but it doesnt do anything
          Last edited by ShadowHarlequin; 10 August 2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

No, don't use the GUI installer.

Just run the driver with

./ati-driver-file-name.run --buildpkg Fedora/F7

and install the RPMs it generates in the working directory.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

No, don't use the GUI installer.

Just run the driver with

./ati-driver-file-name.run --buildpkg Fedora/F7

and install the RPMs it generates in the working directory.
              that wouldnt work for me, even after getting the sources and other requirements, i have sort of got it working now though

i have 1280x800 resoloution, the catalyst control center works, and im getting beryl now to see if that will (although the standard 3d effects wont load when i click it under the settings menu)

Comment

Working...
              X