Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will AMD Have Instant R600 Linux Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AMD Have Instant R600 Linux Support?

So I am curious to see what the general consensus is... after the whole ordeal with the belated Radeon X1000 (R500) fglrx Linux support, what do you feel is going to happen when the R600 is launched early next year? Do you think they will have same day/monthly driver support? Or what do you think will occur?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

I think will need to considering how their reputation hasn't been that great in the past regarding Linux support. With AMD behind this product we may very well see a change for the better... it will be too little too late for me though. Far in the future I may buy another ATI card, but I've just invested in Nvidia for the next computer.

Now if AMD does something like open-source their ATI drivers, then I may just sell this new 8800 for the next ATI card.

Comment

I gave up. Sold the laptop with the ATI Xpress 200M and got one with a Nvidia chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        So I am curious to see what the general consensus is... after the whole ordeal with the belated Radeon X1000 (R500) fglrx Linux support, what do you feel is going to happen when the R600 is launched early next year? Do you think they will have same day/monthly driver support? Or what do you think will occur?

I think if AMD has any say in it it will be a same day or very close to the same day release.

I have just come back to ATI after having used nvidia cards for years. Not having to drop down out of X to install the drivers is great.

Both camps have their issues but I got a great deal on the 9200 agp I'm using now(it replaced my 6600GT BTW) so I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
          I gave up. Sold the laptop with the ATI Xpress 200M and got one with a Nvidia chip.
          Too bad, the 8.32.5 finally has improved Xpress 200 support. Thus from there support should (hopefully) only get better.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

AMD Radeon X2000 R600 Support

Originally posted by Phoronix
            ...ATI/AMD will be providing timely Linux support for the Radeon X2000 (R600) series. In fact, the 8.33.6 display drivers have listed support (available in the Xorg.0.log) for the Radeon X2300HD as well as the Mobility Radeon X2300HD (M71)...
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
            X