No announcement yet.

Frozenbyte Bundle Already Rakes In $250k USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half of the Humble Bundle 1 and 2 games don't install or don't work with open drivers for me, but i've decided to hold off on installing the blob for now. I'm going to just wait for Desura to launch their Linux client (hopefully this year), which should take care of the installation problems as well. At least that's the plan.

Comment

Ubuntu, latest LTS and later, Intel 32 bit, Intel 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Right.

For which specific Debian flavor, original or Ubuntu?

Which version(s) of that flavor?
        If you have one tar.gz that works with these different flavors, it is not difficult to make a .deb that also works with all of them.

If there is an installer script which installs alternative files depending on all kind of probing, it will be more difficult, but still possible.

Comment

I would rather like a simple tarball with maybe a script make_menu-entries.sh. That would be enaugh.

But instead I have to run a crappy "installer" that doesn't do anything than extracting files and making a menu entry.

Not only that, it hasn't all required libraries included. Why do I need to compile a lib32-libglade to run an installer?

If you can't include GPL code in your binary while your binary depends on some GPL'ed libraries, then maybe you should look for a better way to package it?

Comment

Test with open source drivers

It would great if phoronix, provide some test about the usability of those games with open source drivers.
            I guess there's a lot of people relying on those drivers because of old GPU.
            For instance, i have an ATI X1600M, and i know that r300g is in good shape, but i don't have a clue if it will run those games.
            Maybe my request is stupid, because even with best driver in the world, my old hardware won't be able to provide more than 10 FPS....

Comment

Originally posted by xav_19 View Post
              It would great if phoronix, provide some test about the usability of those games with open source drivers.
              I guess there's a lot of people relying on those drivers because of old GPU.
              For instance, i have an ATI X1600M, and i know that r300g is in good shape, but i don't have a clue if it will run those games.
              Maybe my request is stupid, because even with best driver in the world, my old hardware won't be able to provide more than 10 FPS....
              There's a Shadowground-Survivor-demo on LGP, so you can try for yourself: http://demofiles.linuxgamepublishing.com/survivor/
              And since all those game are probably based on a mostly identical engine I'd guess that if Shadowground-Survivor runs the other will as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                There's a Shadowground-Survivor-demo on LGP, so you can try for yourself: http://demofiles.linuxgamepublishing.com/survivor/
                Thanks, i didn't know it.

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                And since all those game are probably based on a mostly identical engine I'd guess that if Shadowground-Survivor runs the other will as well.
                even trine ?

Comment

Sure would be swell if upstream software distributors could make a single .package file for which every distro included some kind of nice GUI app with which to do an easy double-click-the-damn-file install, like an MSI but without the crack-addled ridiculousness, and with dependency resolution using if nothing else a pre-defined set of well-established platform definitions...

... and it sure would be nice if I had the freaking time to work on that project. :/ ... instead I spend what little free time i have playing indie games. Screw you, Humble Bundle!

There used to be tools like that. I remember AutoPackage, but seems dead now. The web page says that it was merged with Listaller some time ago, and that there are also other similar utilities: Zero Install, Portable Linux Apps and MojoSetup.

Like Tanenbaum said: "The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."

Comment

And then what about the Arch Linux users, Gentoo users, BSD users, Slackware users, etc.?
                    Gentoo users produce ebuilds for HIB games, and you can find them easily on the forums. I think some of them are in portage too.

I was expecting something similar from other communities. After all, if you have a .tar.gz, it's pretty easy for an experienced user to make a .deb or an .rpm out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                      Half of the Humble Bundle 1 and 2 games don't install or don't work with open drivers for me, but i've decided to hold off on installing the blob for now. I'm going to just wait for Desura to launch their Linux client (hopefully this year), which should take care of the installation problems as well. At least that's the plan.
                      Which of the HIB1 games do not work and with which drivers (Intel/Radeon/Nouveau)?

Here, I played all of them on r600c without any problems. I haven't tested HIB2.

Comment

Working...
                      X