Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition...

Hi,

For about 4 months, I am thinking of upgrading my 7'yrs old configuration.

Specs:
    - Linux 2.6.x compatibility with stable drivers
    - Able to plug some old IDE drives
    - No need for extra (Wifi, SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, etc), just OnBoard sound and Lan is ok.
    - Not too expensive

After months of reading reviews, it seems to me that my new configuration will be:
    Core 2 Duo E6600 on MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition

This mobo seems to be pretty efficient, has extra PATA connectors thanks to a JMicron chip version supported early by Linux kernerl 2.6.x

But why this motherboard has no reviews using Linux ? No Linux forum posts ?

Does anyone have any feedbacks on this motherboard with Linux to confirm my opinion ?

--
    kawas
    Duron 650 Mhz
    512 Mo SDRam
    ArchLinux

Welcome to the forums.

There have been no MSI 965X Platinum reviews at Phoronix since MSI isn't a current sponsor of Phoronix and thus we don't generally get any of their motherboards to test.

You can read our review of the Abit AW9D at http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=7818 which is another 975X based motherboard.

The 975X chipset should generally work with any newer Linux 2.6 distribution. What distribution do you plan on using?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Welcome to the forums.

There have been no MSI 965X Platinum reviews at Phoronix since MSI isn't a current sponsor of Phoronix and thus we don't generally get any of their motherboards to test.

You can read our review of the Abit AW9D at http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=7818 which is another 975X based motherboard.

The 975X chipset should generally work with any newer Linux 2.6 distribution. What distribution do you plan on using?
      Not only Phoronix, other linux hardware oriented web sites as well don't have any reviews with this board.

By the way thx for the proposal, but I'am not so interested in 975x, it could be P965, as long as it performs well with a E6600 and handle a least 2 IDE drives.

So I think, I'll wait for users' comments on this board...

For the Linux distribution, as an ArchLinux lover, I should try their x86_64 version, but I may try Debian and Gentoo (I'll at last be able to compile it to the end )

Thx for answer.
      kawas

Comment

Hi guys,

I think we can say that this thread is officialy close

I went to my dealer this week-end and bought an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard.... Yes even my dealer told me not to try the MSI board

ArchLinux 64bit wasn't well configured so I installed my Ubuntu livecd 7.04 and everything works out of the box.

Any idea for a good 64bit distro, with flash and java ?

Thx for your help, I am now an happy user.

Comment

Working...
        X