id Rage [idTech 5] For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id Rage [idTech 5] For Linux?

Has anyone heard (or an announcement made) on if there will be a Linux client port for Rage (id Tech 5)? I imagine there will be, but all references seen so far say that it will be for Windows and Mac OS X and the consoles.

I'm going to check with id tomorrow, but was interested if anyone has heard anything else on Rage for Linux.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Nope haven't heard anything, only the same that you've heard. But I would imagine it would be on Linux considering Id's history, but who knows. I would hope so though. Its obvious it is cross platform, so Linux shouldn't be a problem.

I've watched a few videos of Id Tech 5 and apparently porting will be easier than ever with this engine. So thats a good sign.

Comment

Linux is getting more popular, developers are using it at home (from what I've heard) and they stop supporting it after years? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Linux is getting more popular, developers are using it at home (from what I've heard) and they stop supporting it after years? I don't think so.
        I'd have to second the thought there. It's my understanding that they're not discussing much of anything on the subject. If it's OpenGL or has interchangeable rendering backends (Heh... PS3 REQUIRES OpenGL, mind...) then there's little good reason to NOT do a Linux version.

Comment

Does anyone can confirm something?

Some German sites spread rumours that it might not appear on Linux, but these rumours only say that id only shows the engine on PC and Mac on all events. I guess they're wrong.

Comment

There is certainly no plans for a commercially supported linux version of Rage, but there will very likely be a linux executable made available. It isn't running at the moment, but we have had it compiled in the past. Running on additional platforms usually provides some code quality advantages, a...

Quoting John Carmack:

There is certainly no plans for a commercially supported linux version of Rage, but there will very likely be a linux executable made available. It isn't running at the moment, but we have had it compiled in the past. Running on additional platforms usually provides some code quality advantages, and it really only takes one interested programmer to make it happen.

The PC version is still OpenGL, but it is possible that could change before release. The actual API code is not very large, and the vertex / fragment code can be easily translated between cg/hlsl/glsl as necessary. I am going to at least consider OpenGL 3.0 as a target, if Nvidia, ATI, and Intel all have decent support. There really won't be any performance difference between GL 2.0 / GL 3.0 / D3D, so the api decision will be based on secondary factors, of which inertia is one.

Comment

Wikipedia reports that Linux will be one of the platforms. I think these links will be informative enough:

Comment

Count me in as a buyer of every single ID title which gets linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
                  Count me in as a buyer of every single ID title which gets linux support.
                  Amen to that. (Hint: tuxgames)

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I never buy game of follower of M$

Comment

Working...
                    X