Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Now Says G45 VA-API Will Come In Q2

Phoronix: Intel Now Says G45 VA-API Will Come In Q2

Long ago there was a promise by Intel's Linux developers that they would deliver VA-API video acceleration support to G45 IGPs in the second quarter of 2010. This didn't happen even while support for VA-API on Clarkdale/Arrandale arrived in early 2010. There's also now VA-API support for Sandy Bridge and even video encoding support. But the old G45 hardware hasn't received much love. It now appears though that Intel might release VA-API for G45 in the coming months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally...

Comment

We'll see

The Intel graphics team is pretty famous for promising awesome features that will come out soon, and then never delivering them. That's even on the Windows side.

So we'll see, hopefully this will come out soon but I've learned to be cautious about promises from Intel. Don't buy anything based on promises unless you're happy with the current feature set.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        The Intel graphics team is pretty famous for promising awesome features that will come out soon, and then never delivering them. That's even on the Windows side.

So we'll see, hopefully this will come out soon but I've learned to be cautious about promises from Intel. Don't buy anything based on promises unless you're happy with the current feature set.
        The engineers who work on the open driver are from Intel's Open Source Technology Center in Shanghai, China.

I don't know who does the Windows drivers for their products.

I do agree one should be cautious of Intel's promises when it comes to their IGP line.

Comment

I really hope this will be done. I've been waiting so long for this feature to be implemented that I almost lost hope.
          This is one the reason I still use Windows 7 on my laptop.

Comment

Too late, I already dumped my Dell notebook with that crappy 4500MHD. I'll never ever buy Intel product in my life

Comment

GM45 is crap, but Sandy Bridge is awesome

Waiting for "Q2" (ahahah) GM45 h264 decode support
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

'i965_drv_video: enable H.264 decoding on G4x',
                brought to you by the 'g45-h264' branch in the libva repo.

Comment

Is the GS45 chipset also included?

This mobile chipset uses the GMA 4500MHD, and it supports accelerated h264 under windows.

Will programs like VLC need to be updated?

Comment

Working...
                  X