Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM's Clang Now Successfully Builds Qt

Phoronix: LLVM's Clang Now Successfully Builds Qt

A week after the release of LLVM 2.9 with Clang, it now appears that it's successfully building the Qt library. Not only is Clang being boot-strapped and compiling Qt4, but it's also building the WebKit module. Once everything's built, it's working and even the Flash module is working from within there...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wow!

It would be nice to benchmark Qt applications as built with GCC vs LLVM!

Comment

Once this can build Linux. BSD and KDE, there is no GNU/ in Linux anymore. Not that removing all FSF software is great, but it would be funny to shove that into RMS' face.

All due respect for RMS, though. If HURD would be stable and included KMS+Gallium I might be running Debian/GNU/HURD bleeding edge.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Once this can build Linux. BSD and KDE, there is no GNU/ in Linux anymore. Not that removing all FSF software is great, but it would be funny to shove that into RMS' face.
        Maybe there's no GNU/ in the name, but there's a lot of GNU software and will be. I prefer to use and support GNU software than BSD. Even if Clang will be able to build Linux it has to also reach performance parity with GCC. Keep in mind GNU != GPL and the GPL is the most important license in FLOSS (no surprise it's the most widely used in Open Source projects). Linux and BSDs owns GNU a lot, but it doesn't mean we should say GNU/Linux, GNU/BSD. More correct is KDE/Linux, Gnome/Linux, but this sucks. I'd also like to see some performance comparison between desktop application with different compilers used. However, I have no idea how to make such benchmark.

Comment

Don't forget that GNOME is also part of the GNU project. Compilers and kernels are only of interest to a small subset of GNU/Linux users and BSD and KDE are irrelevant.

But this GNU/Linux thing is really an old battle. Nowadays most people just call it Ubuntu .

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Don't forget that GNOME is also part of the GNU project. Compilers and kernels are only of interest to a small subset of GNU/Linux users and BSD and KDE are irrelevant.
            *Hmphff* Everybody knows Gnome is irrelevant

Anyway... I was justing pointing out that it would be funny to make a totaly non-GNU OS and show it to RMS

But this GNU/Linux thing is really an old battle. Nowadays most people just call it Ubuntu .
            Lol true that. BTW I don't care what people call it.

Comment

non-GNU OS and show it to RMS
              It's been done before, it's just a royal PITA to setup. Some linux kernel based firmwares for example do not use the GNU toolchain.

Comment

Who cares who made it. All I care is that it works

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Who cares who made it. All I care is that it works
                  Exactly!

When LLVM can build a rock-stable Linux/BSD kernel that runs fine as well as any desktop of choice as well as a complete userland I'd then call it a success.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    When LLVM can build a rock-stable Linux/BSD kernel that runs fine as well as any desktop of choice as well as a complete userland I'd then call it a success.
                    But anything in between is progress

Comment

Working...
                    X