No announcement yet.

The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why GL_ARB_depth_clamp unavailable on r300g?

Hi,
    what's the current situation/state with "GL_ARB_depth_clamp" extension on r300g, because it's disabled?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 69acid69 View Post
      Hi,
      what's the current situation/state with "GL_ARB_depth_clamp" extension on r300g, because it's disabled?

Thanks.
      We weren't able to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        The r600 hardware can do it, but the code to get it running is very hardware-specific. Some ideas are the same, but very little (if any) code can be shared. I guess we will have to write it from scratch.
        Thanks for the reply.
        How big a performance improvement do you think z-compression and hyperz will give?

Comment

I tested it with openarena, disabled swapbufferswait for full performace. With my x1600 256 mb i think there is a vram limit. I got an impressive speed increase from 62 to 84 fps @ 800x600, but with higher res the speed even decreased a tiny bit from 43 to 42 fps @ 1024x768 and 29 to 28 fps @ 1280x1024. So if you use the RADEON_HYPERZ=1 override use a benchmark to verify. I dont have got a faster card with more vram to do a better test. It was definitely not cpu limited with my i7-880.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I tested it with openarena, disabled swapbufferswait for full performace. With my x1600 256 mb i think there is a vram limit. I got an impressive speed increase from 62 to 84 fps @ 800x600, but with higher res the speed even decreased a tiny bit from 43 to 42 fps @ 1024x768 and 29 to 28 fps @ 1280x1024. So if you use the RADEON_HYPERZ=1 override use a benchmark to verify. I dont have got a faster card with more vram to do a better test. It was definitely not cpu limited with my i7-880.
            How do you disable vsync? I thought it was hard coded in the driver. Or better yet, what is the proper way to benchmark OA? Some time ago I downloaded that anholt demo but it didn't run here...

Comment

Look there:

In that dir you find scripts which patch the driver (or enable gallium) when you add any option. I used pts to benchmark openarena. Maybe i begin a new profile next time.

Comment

Ah, I downloaded pts and now I see how the OA benchmark is done. I'll have to compile the latest drivers, it's been a while for I was quite happy with the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  9600M, mesa 7.10, swapbufferwait 0, vblank_mode 0, hyperz 0->1

800x600: 65.4 -> 72.8 (11%)
                  1024x768: 48.4 -> 56.9 (17%)

This was locking the CPU to its maximum frequency. If I don't do that the frame rate is worse, but the improvement due to hyperz is more noticeable (56.9 to 65.7 at 800x600, 15% better).

Very nice indeed!

Comment

Did you do

dmesg|grep nouveau|grep core

to see if your gpu is running at full speed? i dont think so, looks so slow. ask in irc://irc.freenode.net/#nouveau then when c (current) is not the max.

Comment

I'm hoping that the recent compiler optimizations that was finished for r300 by Tom Stellar can be ported to the other AMD drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X