Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS-3G Merges With NTFSprogs, Plus New Version

Phoronix: NTFS-3G Merges With NTFSprogs, Plus New Version

The NTFS-3G project, which provides a file-system driver with read/write support for Microsoft's NTFS file-system on Linux, has merged with ntfsprogs. The ntfsprogs package provides various utilities for the Linux NTFS file-system like mkntfs, ntfsclone, ntfsundelete, and ntfsdefrag. Merging NTFS-3G and ntfsprogs was the logical move and now there's a stable release of the merged software: ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't remember when I last thought about NTFS support. For the past years with mainstreams distributions, it just worked (TM).

Comment

You usally see no huge problems with older version when you just access a few files. When you copy several gigabytes of data and compare the speed then you will see definitely differences. I usually try to use current versions of ntfs-3g for Kanotix (definitely newer compared to U/D). This time the packageing seems to be more tricky, best would be if the original maintainer would update it.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Can't remember when I last thought about NTFS support. For the past years with mainstreams distributions, it just worked (TM).
        Same here, oh how I used to hate having to install a stupid extra external module in Redhat just to get even read support of NTFS.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
          ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12
          My, that's quite a mouthful! How about ntfsprogs-3g, or nixtfs (a portmanteau of "NIX" and "ntfs"), or something else a bit shorter? :P

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            My, that's quite a mouthful! How about ntfsprogs-3g, or nixtfs (a portmanteau of "NIX" and "ntfs"), or something else a bit shorter? :P
            They could have just called it NTFSprogs and made life for people easier.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Same here, oh how I used to hate having to install a stupid extra external module in Redhat just to get even read support of NTFS.
              Yeah, but be honest, if you are using Red Hat you don't need NTFS support because you're migrating from UNIX.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                Yeah, but be honest, if you are using Red Hat you don't need NTFS support because you're migrating from UNIX.
                Not really, that was the days before even Fedora existed and Red Hat wasn't just an enterprise solution.

Comment

I also don't miss having to manually compile and install alsa support from those days.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Not really, that was the days before even Fedora existed and Red Hat wasn't just an enterprise solution.
                    Red Hat has its reason to avoid shipping it. However EPEL project does include ntfs-3g and it is quite a popular repository

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

I wouldn't use EL without it.

Comment

Working...
                    X