nvidia nf4 gigabit nic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nvidia nf4 gigabit nic

I've found multiple places that brought up the argument of weather to use the forcedeth driver or the nvnet driver for the nforce 4 gigabit lan. Which do you guys use/prefer? And where do I find the forcedeth driver? Is in the kernel, and have I not looked hard enough? or is it separate like the binary nvnet nic module?

Thanks
    --Scott

Looks like forcedeth is in the kernel since 2.4.26 and 2.6.5. I believe I have just used forcedeth rather than the nvnet one for my nforce lan boards.

Comment

Forcedeth is what is used by Phoronix during testing, rather than NVIDIA's alternative. NVIDIA does indeed realize the success of Forcedeth and the open-source alternatives for some NVIDIA hardware, such as them endorsing Forcedeth for nForce 500 series, as they haven't yet produced a new closed-source nForce Linux driver update.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As far as I know, the kernel forcedeth driver is limited to 100mbps whereas nVidia's closed-source driver can use the full potential of one gigabit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadewalker
          As far as I know, the kernel forcedeth driver is limited to 100mbps whereas nVidia's closed-source driver can use the full potential of one gigabit.
          Looking at the source it seems that the driver does support GigE.

Comment

Originally posted by foobar
            Looking at the source it seems that the driver does support GigE.
            Which kernel release is that? Apparently it has a web page, and I noticed this interesting bit:

UPDATE:

NVidia has contributed gigabit support to forcedeth, so I'll workon integrating their patch and fixing remaining bugs in it. If you wantto try it, download forcedeth_gigabit_try19.txt and apply it againstthe latest 2.6 kernel.
            I have no idea how recent that is, however.

Comment

Working...
            X