Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aticonfig --query-monitor doesn't work (Lenovo T60)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aticonfig --query-monitor doesn't work (Lenovo T60)

Hi,

I'm using the 8.30.3 fglrx drivers on a ThinkPad T60 with a Mobility Radeon X1400 (using Ubuntu/Edgy). None of the dynamic display options seem to work.. if I run aticonfig --query-monitor, I get this:

$ aticonfig --query-monitor
    Connected monitors: none
    Enabled monitors: none
    $

Similarly even --enable-monitor doesn't work (because it doesn't even see the monitors). I can, however, configure DesktopSetup, etc in my xorg.conf and use BigDesktop in whatever configuration I want (if I start X with all monitors connected). I'm just not able to do this dynamically, which would be nice.

Has anyone seen this problem or resolved it?

My X startup log is here.

Using an Lenovo T60 with X1400 Mobility here and dynamic options without problems.

$ aticonfig --query-monitor
    Connected monitors: lvds
    Enabled monitors: lvds
    Did you try using the 8.31 drivers?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Using an Lenovo T60 with X1400 Mobility here and dynamic options without problems.

Did you try using the 8.31 drivers?
      Haven't yet... I thought there weren't too many changes, so I haven't upgraded yet. Will try it and see what happens. But this problem has been there for the last three or four driver versions (ever since I got the laptop).

Comment

Originally posted by mrinaldotnet View Post
        Haven't yet... I thought there weren't too many changes, so I haven't upgraded yet. Will try it and see what happens. But this problem has been there for the last three or four driver versions (ever since I got the laptop).
        Hmm interesting. I have never run into this problem. Are you using a docking station? Or by chance have you tried doing anything with the BIOS (or upgrading to a newer BIOS) to see if the problem goes away?
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Hmm interesting. I have never run into this problem. Are you using a docking station? Or by chance have you tried doing anything with the BIOS (or upgrading to a newer BIOS) to see if the problem goes away?
          Hmm.. that was a good idea I never thought of. I just checked the BIOS and the only options related to display are regarding which display to use as primary. Fooled around with those, but it doesn't solve this problem.

I haven't upgraded my BIOS since I bought this machine, maybe I'll try that. Will also try the latest ATI drivers and see what happens.

Thanks!

Comment

I haven't upgraded my BIOS since I bought this machine, maybe I'll try that.
            Updating the BIOS on Lenovo/IBM laptops are easy; since they offer the BIOS on a bootable CD so it's operating system independent.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Updating the BIOS on Lenovo/IBM laptops are easy; since they offer the BIOS on a bootable CD so it's operating system independent.
              Neat. Updated the BIOS to the latest, no luck with my problem though. It's pretty strange. Another T42 I configured (which has an older Radeon, forgot which) is working fine...

Comment

*bump*

Has anyone encountered this problem yet? Or been able to solve it? I still have the same problem, I'm on driver version 8.35.5 now.

Comment

*bump*

Has anyone encountered this problem yet? Or been able to solve it? I still have the same problem, I'm on driver version 8.35.5 now.
                  I still have yet to come across this issue with a Lenovo T60. You may want to try out 8.36 once this has been released.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I still have yet to come across this issue with a Lenovo T60. You may want to try out 8.36 once this has been released.
                    Yep, I'll try that when it's released, although I've pretty much given up hope now. What I find strange is that I'm the only person who seems to have this problem! I use different external monitor resolutions at home and at work, so I end up having to restart X twice every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X