Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sandy Bridge Video Decode For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge Video Decode For Linux

Since Intel began shipping Intel Core i3/i5/i7 "Sandy Bridge" CPUs back in January, H.264 VA-API video (decode) playback acceleration has been available if using all of the proper open-source Linux packages needed for support. The video encode support though wasn't there on time nor was there much in the way of official communication in what to expect or when it would come, but the word received at Phoronix was that it would be a Q1 target. It looks like the code for VA-API video encode on Sandy Bridge is nearly ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is as it should be

There is a saying in the programming world:

First make it work.
    Then make it work right.
    Then make it fast or pretty. (I've heard it both ways)

I think it is awesome that intel devs are doing this hardware video decode work. Obviously they see Nvidia and Broadcomm's work in this area as enough of a threat that it must be done.

Comment

So, will a P8H67 motherboard be required to use this functionality, or will P8P67 work as well?

Comment

Still waiting for Q2 2010 GMA45 decode support
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Still waiting for Q2 2010 GMA45 decode support
          Don't expect it to come... I talked with Keith about it this week. Evidently he's seen some fork of it on the G45 internally, but they just don't have much interest in it anymore.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by d4ddi0 View Post
            There is a saying in the programming world:

First make it work.
            Then make it work right.
            Then make it fast or pretty. (I've heard it both ways)

I think it is awesome that intel devs are doing this hardware video decode work. Obviously they see Nvidia and Broadcomm's work in this area as enough of a threat that it must be done.
            I agree with the order of priorities here. Getting it to work correctly is much more important than getting fast, but incorrect, output. Once it works correctly, then you can make it work faster.

Comment

Michael, is the title wrong? s/decode/encode/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Michael, is the title wrong? s/decode/encode/ ?
                Yep, fixed. Just got back from LF Summit at midnight and didn't get much sleep.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Don't expect it to come... I talked with Keith about it this week. Evidently he's seen some fork of it on the G45 internally, but they just don't have much interest in it anymore.
                  Too bad
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

@albatorsk

You can use a Hxx board, but you can only oc the gfx core with it. If you want to oc the cpu too you need to wait for Z68 boards, most likely next month. Pxx does not work.

Comment

Working...
                    X