Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which motherboard is compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motherboard is compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?

Hi.

I need to buy a motherboard that supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (Kernel 2.6.9). Any recommendations? I have tried buying off-the-shelf PCs like Dell, but cannot install the OS on it.

Originally posted by edin97 View Post
    Hi.

I need to buy a motherboard that supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (Kernel 2.6.9). Any recommendations? I have tried buying off-the-shelf PCs like Dell, but cannot install the OS on it.
    What will you be using this RHEL 4 system for? Do you have any preferences or requirements as what else needs to be installed with this sytem? Tyan generally makes great Red Hat Linux compatible motherboards.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i'm not sure about sata support in such an old kernel. because somewhere around 2.6.8-2.6.9 there were changes in sata drivers.

maybe there are extra patches.

check here for compatility with your controller between linux versions.

i remember that installing older redhat on my 2 year old pc caused it to abort because it could not identify my hardware.

also, proper sata was introduced into kernel around 2003

Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His announcement started, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional…)”. Three decades later, the top 500 supercomputers are all running Linux, as are over 70% of all smartphones. Linux is clearly both big and professional.
      Last edited by yoshi314; 03 August 2007, 07:30 AM.

Comment

You can get a ML100 or ML300 series HP ProLiant server. The entire ML line is certified for RHEL4 and RHEL5. They hold 8GB memory, and have space for 4 internal drives.

Since you are installing a relatively expensive version of Linux, I assume you care about things like support from the hardware vendor, OS vendor, and application support.

Comment

Working...
        X