Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glesx.so corrupted?

Hello,
    After upgrading to 8.39.4 I was faces with a pretty nasty situtation. Fglrx worked just after installation, but did not work after reboot. My X ended up with either garbled kubuntu boot screen or just empty black screen.

From /var/log/Xorg.0.log I noticed that the situtation was somehow related to glesx.so:

------------
    (**) fglrx(0): DPMS enabled
    (**) fglrx(0): Textured Video is enabled.
    (II) LoadModule: "glesx.so" (glesx)
    (WW) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "glesx.so"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so

Backtrace:
    -----------

Nothing after the "Bactkrace:" messages. So after various attempts to keep fglrx running I just decided to delete the /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so and X started to work suddenly!

As ldd exits with error code 135 I suspect something is indeed wrong with the glesx.so.

root@azkaban:/usr/lib/xorg/modules# ldd glesx.so.bak
    ldd: exited with unknown exit code (135)
    root@azkaban:/usr/lib/xorg/modules# file glesx.so.bak
    glesx.so.bak: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
    root@azkaban:/usr/lib/xorg/modules#

Hope this helps somebody in agony with 8.39.4.

Originally posted by jjjj View Post
    (WW) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "glesx.so"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so
    I see the same warning w/ etch (X == xorg v 7.1.1); not having any problems as a result of it though.

So after various attempts to keep fglrx running I just decided to delete the /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so and X started to work suddenly!

root@azkaban:/usr/lib/xorg/modules# file glesx.so.bak
    glesx.so.bak: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
    Two questions that come to mind right out of the gate are what does Xorg.0.log show, now, regarding glesx.so; and, where did the glesx.so.bak file come from? I looked on several systems, both Debian and RedHat/Fedora, and found it on none of them.

Sure your system - or at least, your X install - wasn't "pre-trashed"?

-Larry

Comment

Working...
    X