X1600XT AGP running in PCI mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1600XT AGP running in PCI mode

I've got a strange issue here that I came across, I was looking in the ATI Control Center and noticed my AGP was running at 0x (pci mode), so I went to investigate and looked in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and noticed this:

Code:
    (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
            compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.39.4
            ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte, Type: DDR3
    (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
    Its detecting my card as a pci express card? Thats not right, my card is AGP, now that explains why i'm running at 0x (pci mode), but I haven't figured out how to fix this. I'm guessing it might be a problem with the drivers concerning the pcie-agp bridge on the card itself, since thats how ATI/AMD has done their AGP cards since X1k.

Oh by the way, opengl/hardware acceleration does work.

Code:
    fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1600 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6650 (8.39.4)
    I don't think its a problem concerning my xorg.conf as i've switched settings around and played with the useinternalagpgart setting with no luck. I'm guessing i've had this problem since day 1, just haven't noticed it until now, now i'm curious.

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
    I've got a strange issue here that I came across, I was looking in the ATI Control Center and noticed my AGP was running at 0x (pci mode), so I went to investigate and looked in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and noticed this:

Code:
            compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.39.4
    (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
    Its detecting my card as a pci express card? Thats not right, my card is AGP, now that explains why i'm running at 0x (pci mode), but I haven't figured out how to fix this. I'm guessing it might be a problem with the drivers concerning the pcie-agp bridge on the card itself, since thats how ATI/AMD has done their AGP cards since X1k.

Oh by the way, opengl/hardware acceleration does work.

Code:
    fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1600 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6650 (8.39.4)
    I don't think its a problem concerning my xorg.conf as i've switched settings around and played with the useinternalagpgart setting with no luck. I'm guessing i've had this problem since day 1, just haven't noticed it until now, now i'm curious.

Same card, same boat, same issue - have not resolved it - and Yes - OpenGL works -- however dont try playing WoW in wine on that -- it just does not work -- physically the AGP bus is running at the baseline - in my case 2x - and its NoWhere near fast enough --

same drivers/same config (right down the line) on my ati 9550 I get 25 to 60 FPS in IronForge and 12 to 25 fps in Shattrath -- playable
    plug in the X1650 and IF framerates drop drastically (12 to 18) and shattrath is 4 to 9 fps - utterly unplayable.

At some point ATI will have to fix this - there are three other midline cards that are PCIE engines on agp busses -- and 2 of those work ... lets hope they get it all fixed cause I want the oomph this card should add to my video.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Same card, same boat, same issue - have not resolved it - and Yes - OpenGL works -- however dont try playing WoW in wine on that -- it just does not work -- physically the AGP bus is running at the baseline - in my case 2x - and its NoWhere near fast enough --

same drivers/same config (right down the line) on my ati 9550 I get 25 to 60 FPS in IronForge and 12 to 25 fps in Shattrath -- playable
      plug in the X1650 and IF framerates drop drastically (12 to 18) and shattrath is 4 to 9 fps - utterly unplayable.

At some point ATI will have to fix this - there are three other midline cards that are PCIE engines on agp busses -- and 2 of those work ... lets hope they get it all fixed cause I want the oomph this card should add to my video.
      Yeah, for some reason I have a feeling it will be a while before they fix it. I have UT 2004 installed and that game doesn't support PCI cards, yeah the card is AGP but its running in PCI mode so it runs pretty bad, unplayable pretty much. I don't play WoW or really any games through wine but I see its pretty much the same deal.

If they fixed it, it would fix part of the performance issue, if not, even when they put in the new opengl code eventually, our performance will still be messed up. It seems like it would be a pretty easy problem to fix though, it seems to just be a identification problem. I'll continue to toy around with things and see if I can get some way for it to detect properly.

I just hope they fix these problems, its a nice card, when I tried it in Windows anyways. But in Linux, its a soap opera. I still have faith in AMD/ATI, but my patience is running out.
      Last edited by Malikith; 03 August 2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I did a little benchmark just for fun concerning this problem, check it out:

------------------------------
        Tremulous Benchmarks

Windows - X1600XT (Driver: 7.7)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 92.8
        1280x1024 6x AA 16x AF - 90.6
        -------------------------------

Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Alpha - X1600XT (Driver: 8.39.4)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 35.0
        320x200 No AA or AF - 37.9 - You've gotta be kidding me.

The situation is pretty serious hehe.

Update:

I did another benchmark with a older driver release, results were a little better this time.

Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Alpha - X1600XT (Driver: 8.37.6)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 45.0

This doesn't make any sense at all, the performance is better, however the AGP 0x problem still remains.
        Last edited by Malikith; 07 August 2007, 06:37 PM.

Comment

FYI - bug 780 opened

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
            FYI - bug 780 opened
            Oh really, thats good news. For the meantime i've just been using my FX 5500 since its actually faster for what I do and doesn't give me any problems at all. Once a driver comes out that fixes that issue I'll be all over it .

But I mean, check this out, heres a benchmark with my Geforce FX 5500 in Tremulous just to kinda compare:

---------------------------------------------------
            Slackware 12.0 - Geforce FX 5500 (Driver 100.14.11)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 87.8

I mean, thats just wrong haha. Granted I was using The Ubuntu Gutsy Alpha on the X1600XT since I like to test the newest Ubuntu distros on my other partition once in a while, but it doesn't really make a difference in 3d performance.
            Last edited by Malikith; 20 August 2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
              But I mean, check this out, heres a benchmark with my Geforce FX 5500 in Tremulous just to kinda compare:

Slackware 12.0 - Geforce FX 5500 (Driver 100.14.11)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 87.8

I mean, thats just wrong haha.
              Tremulous is a Q3:A engine derived game. It's embarrassing. Brown paper bag over the head embarrassing.

You know, I probably ought to get off my duff and finally do the benchmarking runs I intended on doing about 5 or so months ago and do an article for submission to Phoronix like I threatened to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Tremulous is a Q3:A engine derived game. It's embarrassing. Brown paper bag over the head embarrassing.

You know, I probably ought to get off my duff and finally do the benchmarking runs I intended on doing about 5 or so months ago and do an article for submission to Phoronix like I threatened to do...
                Yeah benchmarks in our cases would probably be alot more embarrassing than the official Phoronix ones, just because of the 0x bus issue haha.

Comment

Just an update that the PCIE-AGP bridge bug has been squashed in 8.42.3, and an update on the performance gains.

-----------------

Debian/Testing (Lenny) - X1600XT (Driver: 8.42.3)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 70.8
                  1280x1024 4X AA 16X AF - 48.7

-----------------

Recap on Windows Performance with the same card:

------------------------------
                  Tremulous Benchmarks

Windows - X1600XT (Driver: 7.7)

1280x1024 No AA or AF - 92.8
                  1280x1024 6x AA 16x AF - 90.6

Better. But still not quite there to where the Windows driver is, but its definitely playable now, especially with anti aliasing off. But obviously theres still more performance optimization to be done and more anti aliasing optimization.

By the way, for anyone who is interested, here is the demo I use for doing this testing with Tremulous, you can place this demo in your home directory under /home/yourname/.tremulous/base/demos/

If you don't have a demos directory, make one.

Heres the Demo: http://bloodytampon.servegame.com/do...rembench.dm_69 (If you have trouble downloading, right click and save link as, since your browser may want to view it.)

The demo is pretty intensive, its about as intensive as it'll get under a Quake 3 based game. This was done in a 40 man server I believe that was totally full while I flew around in spectator and tried to get in the most intense areas of the action.

Once you put this demo in the directory I specified, go into Tremulous, go into the console (tilde ~) and type timedemo 1 then type demo trembench to start it. Then when the demo is done, check your console and it will show the average framerate. Much better solution than glxgears .

Code:
                          compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.42.3
                  (II) fglrx(0): AGP card detected
                  (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
                  Thank god.
                  Last edited by Malikith; 24 October 2007, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X