Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spiel About The Default Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

Phoronix: The Spiel About The Default Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

Earlier today Phoronix was the first publication to widely report that Ubuntu 11.04 may default to the GNOME classic desktop rather than the Unity desktop that Canonical has been developing viciously over the past few months. There's just too many bugs outstanding and issues with Unity, but here's the whole spiel about what their evaluation is coming down to in deciding whether to stick with Unity by default or instead use the classic GNOME desktop until presumably Ubuntu 11.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think they would be smart to stick with plain gnome for now. Of course, I haven't tried either Gnome Shell or Unity yet (at least not in a while, and I know it's stabilized a lot since then, and changed a lot too), but I've been through a couple rocky Ubuntu releases, and this smells like another one. Of course, they have had some good releases, too; sometimes I'm amazed.

I think they should stick with the tried-and-true Gnome for now, and the next release (or the one after) they will have awesome Unity, and can work on other cool stuff too (like stabilizing their desktop more, getting Wayland more feature complete and better supported, among other things).

Comment

Ok Canonical.. So for people that want to use Gnome, fix the damn systray icons that you broke.

It'd be a nice gesture seeing as compiz crashes in Unity everytime I've ran it for an extended period.

Comment

I just want a dock with application category icons that all get pushed aside for their contents when you click them. I have to have categories without a keyboard, but text is ugly.

Comment

i think both unity and gnome-shell need 6+ more months to really substitute old gnome.

but at least ubuntu does have the classic desktop option, so am pretty sure they will be shipping unity as default. If you still find unity lacking, then logout and switch desktop session.

also am sure Mark wants developers to start doing creative stuff for unity.

anyway the hardest thing i find in unity is having to manually scroll in the dam launcher and lack of systray for some stuff. and for gnome-shell the lack of an easy way to minimize, swap apps faster and other stuff.

teens will not like g-shell too much because they always need to minimize quickly

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            teens will not like g-shell too much because they always need to minimize quickly
            Haven't tried unity or gnome shell, but I find the gnome/compiz shortcut ctrl+alt+arrows to switch workspaces works well for normal desktop navigation, although in the use-case you're talking about, the user may not have both hands free... making the ctrl and alt keys sticky would help, whether that's implemented in software or hardware.

Comment

Sounds like KDE 4.0 all over again

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                Haven't tried unity or gnome shell, but I find the gnome/compiz shortcut ctrl+alt+arrows to switch workspaces works well for normal desktop navigation, although in the use-case you're talking about, the user may not have both hands free... making the ctrl and alt keys sticky would help, whether that's implemented in software or hardware.
                "although in the use-case you're talking about, the user may not have both hands free"

lol

we need a panic / boss button

Comment

I switched to using LXDE as the desktop on my netbook (its GMA500 chipset just couldn't handle unity), as I found that the gnome applets ran in lxde happily which I needed to provide bluetooth and wifi control.

LXDE is faster as it's lightweight and does all the things most people need.

Comment

I did not really understand why they did not wanted to use gnome-shell I think its better and more stable than unity. I guess they developed it for netbooks and didnt want to through it in the trash, but why did they not officialy integrate as second alternative gnome-shell, its logicaly that a big userbase will choose gnome-shell over unity, if its 30% or 50% or 70% is not importent all this numbers are big enough.

It would be enough to integrate the packages to a official source they not have to include it in the ubuntu-desktop meta-package.

Maybe thats the thing thats let me change the distro again. But there are not that good alternativs, if you wanna debian-distro with less long release-cyles you have no big choices.

gentoo is feeling that it is dieing and I want not to compile on netbook, I could not get comfy with arch yet, and I hate the redhat-deriviats (fedora, suse) we need new distries

Comment

Working...
                    X