No announcement yet.

AIGLX with ATI proprietry's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO now I should switch to xgl. But I lose my direct rendering with Xgl, any comment or suggestions to enable dri witg Xgl?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus View Post
      SO now I should switch to xgl. But I lose my direct rendering with Xgl, any comment or suggestions to enable dri witg Xgl?
      This may not be clear to you...
      You *can't* have both XGL and 3d.
      You have to choose
      I tried XGL + beryl, very nice indeed.. But I couldn't play tremulous... NO way I could survive without that

Comment

You don't need DRI with Xgl. From http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl:
        Do not intermix hardware acceleration and direct rendering. OpenGL applications will be hardware accelerated on Xgl if the driver supports pBuffers or FBOs (...) Direct rendering on the other hand is impossible to implement at the moment
        You *can't* have both XGL and 3d.
        Not true, see above.

Originally posted by lenrek View Post

I wrote it myself...
        No...Milton did in Paradise Lost ("better to reign in hell than serve in heaven") :P

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post

No...Milton did in Paradise Lost ("better to reign in hell than serve in heaven") :P
          If you want to reign in hell, then this implied, you will not be free...

* OK we getting off-topic, we should stop... *

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
            Not true, see above.
            So, can you play 3d games while on XGL?
            I dont think so... If you can, can you tell us how?

Comment

I didn;t get it, whats the difference between direct rendring and hardware accelerated?
              Which one is needed for compiz to run?

Comment

Direct rendering means that the graphics hardware can be accessed without any X involvement. A DRI should be provided by the driver, but it doesn't work with fglrx on Xgl (probably because of the built-in composite extension).
                As written on the page I linked before, Xgl will accelerate rendering if the driver supports pbuffers. For XVideo and probably OpenGL too, your driver/graphics card must also support Pixel Shaders.

But of course, I may be terribly wrong

Comment

Hi, I got the idea, thanks

I have another question, what are differences between ATI proprietary drivers, and livna releases? which of which works with Xgl and which for AIGLX?

As I mentioned before, i got direct rendering and pbuffers with ATI's and AIGLX. Although I had pbuffers again with xgl and ATI's, I have no direct rendering. Any useful tips for me?

Comment

I have another question, what are differences between ATI proprietary drivers, and livna releases? which of which works with Xgl and which for AIGLX?
                    They are the same driver. The Livna packages are just built as RPMs and put in a repository for easy updating and management... Neither supports AIGLX right now.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi, I got the idea, thanks

As far as I know the livna "release" is just a repacked driver for fedora, so there shouldn't be any difference. As Michael said, fglrx doesn't currently support AIGLX (the open-source "radeon" does). EDIT: meh, Michael was faster.

As I mentioned before, i got direct rendering and pbuffers with ATI's and AIGLX. Although I had pbuffers again with xgl and ATI's, I have no direct rendering. Any useful tips for me?
                      Try running Xgl with -accel to get some sort of acceleration. Ex:
                      Code:
                      Xgl :1 -fullscreen -ac -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer
                      FBOs instead of pbuffer would be much faster, if the fglrx driver fully supported them.

Comment

Working...
                      X