Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissecting The ATI/AMD Linux Driver

Phoronix: Dissecting The ATI/AMD Linux Driver

If you have been reading our ATI/AMD Linux display driver reviews for some time, you will know that there are periods where it doesn't look like the fglrx driver is actively being worked on, but in fact changes are being made "under the hood". We are going through one of these droughts right now where not many new features or bug fixes are being introduced, though a lot of work is going on internally. We have decided to dissect the last 19 months of driver releases from ATI/AMD to expose some interesting facts and what should be coming in the future.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

you know, this new strings could be just stubs :]

if there are so many changes, why aren't we noticing a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      you know, this new strings could be just stubs :]

if there are so many changes, why aren't we noticing a thing?
      I think that's been explained already... do you have no hope left for the end of the year?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I think that's been explained already... do you have no hope left for the end of the year?
        I've little hope right a the moment. They might be able to pull something off- but with past performances, I doubt it. I'm sure most of the rest of the long-time Linux users echo that sentiment.

It'll probably be into middle of next year before we have anything to speak of unless they give out the technical info to drive the R300, R400, etc. chipsets so that the DRI team can do something of it. Unless they throw quite a few people (That KNOW Linux) into the mix, they're not going to have enough resources in the time left to them to get anything good enough to be excited about by the end of this year. They may pleasantly surprise me, but my gut level feel of the whole situation tells me it's not going to happen.

Comment

i'm tired of hoping that "maybe the next release will be better". i just need decently working xv. is that too much too ask?

if it doesn't happen - i'm using opensource drivers.

if it does happen - great, i'll try it. but i'll hope that opensource driver devs catch up.

if it won't change a thing - opensource drivers again.

Comment

Working...
          X