GNOME 3.0 Released; LF Collaboration Summit Kicks Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the Fedora live cd yesterday.
    And Gnome 3.0 (the desktop, less the programs) is really impressive, they did a fantastic job imo. Never saw such a smooth .0 Release.
    Their unobtrusive concept is really nice.

What I also like is the way they combined the expose effect with the menu. Now in KDE 4 I hardly use "expose". The problem I have there is that when I assign an edge to it I end up hitting that edge by accident. Using a shortcut is also not that nice, since I want to navigate the overview with the mouse.
    Now with the Gnome 3.0 combination of both the menu and the overview you actually hardly can hit it by accident, since the place had a function (the menu buttons) before.

Also the usage of working spaces is highly intuitive and a lot more comfortable when what I saw up to now. Additionally Alt-Tab works quite well if you have multiple instances of the same program.

Yeah there are bugs and shortcomings, but those aren't that bad.
    I mean not displaying the maximize or the shutdown button is a questionable design decision which can easily be fixed.

An impressed KDE user.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
      Tried the Fedora live cd yesterday.
      And Gnome 3.0 (the desktop, less the programs) is really impressive, they did a fantastic job imo. Never saw such a smooth .0 Release.
      Their unobtrusive concept is really nice.

What I also like is the way they combined the expose effect with the menu. Now in KDE 4 I hardly use "expose". The problem I have there is that when I assign an edge to it I end up hitting that edge by accident. Using a shortcut is also not that nice, since I want to navigate the overview with the mouse.
      Now with the Gnome 3.0 combination of both the menu and the overview you actually hardly can hit it by accident, since the place had a function (the menu buttons) before.

Also the usage of working spaces is highly intuitive and a lot more comfortable when what I saw up to now. Additionally Alt-Tab works quite well if you have multiple instances of the same program.

Yeah there are bugs and shortcomings, but those aren't that bad.
      I mean not displaying the maximize or the shutdown button is a questionable design decision which can easily be fixed.

An impressed KDE user.
      I agree. Just tried the livecd and I really like the interface. Does anyone know when this will land in archlinux?

Comment

It is already in testing.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Yeah, Aero snap and the OsX Dock were the features we've all been missing...
          I'm refering to the touchscreenisch interface...

Comment

Working...
          X