Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds similar

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    It's the same old vast generalizations without specifics, and when you do confront a GNOME user with features they are lacking, they simply ignore it and say "well it does what I need it to do.." Seriously? It's like it'll kill them to admit they aren't perfect. Their community always has been like that, and it probably always will be.
    It is no secret that there has been a great deal of hype surrounding the iPhone and it is also no secret that Apple probably has the most loyal and...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
      a KDE user's usual complaint:

GNOME won't let me configure <option>
      GNOME app is lacking <feature>
      I don't care for gconf
      I don't care for the default GNOME interface

a GNOME user's criticism:

KDE sucks
      KDE is bloated.
      KDE4 was a disaster
      QT was evil because of the license

It's the same old vast generalizations without specifics, and when you do confront a GNOME user with features they are lacking, they simply ignore it and say "well it does what I need it to do.." Seriously? It's like it'll kill them to admit they aren't perfect. Their community always has been like that, and it probably always will be.
      KDE is bloated.
      KDE is ugly.
      KDE's usability sucks.
      KDE is overengineered.
      KDE is unpolished.
      Qt is cool.

Comment

KDE 4.6.2 got released, and the bugs keep piling up. None of the bugs were fixed, and new have been added (now it's impossible to shutdown the machine from KDE; it just brings you to a console.)

How classy is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          KDE 4.6.2 got released, and the bugs keep piling up. None of the bugs were fixed, and new have been added (now it's impossible to shutdown the machine from KDE; it just brings you to a console.)

How classy is that?
          Are you kidding? A lot of bugs were fixed for 4.6.2. I suppose what you mean is "none of my pet bugs were fixed". I can tell you a bunch of my pet bugs were (especially issues with GHNS).

And I am not sure what you mean about not being able to shut down the machine, I shut it down all the time just fine.

Comment

Learn from history

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            LOL!!! That list actually brought back some memories..

1) Gnome USERS: So what that KDE looks better - it's just useless eyecandy

Then:

GNOME looks just as good as KDE

2) GNOME Users: What do you need a menu editor for anyways?

Then:

We have alacarte now... so you can't say we don't have a menu editor anymore!!!

3) GNOME is so much faster than KDE...

a) KDE 3.1 acutally ran better on systems with low memory than GNOME did.

b) GNOME 2.12 was slow as hell...

c) KDE 3.5 was more responsive than GNOME.

Response:

What difference does it make? The average computer now is fast so why build around old hardware? People just need to upgrade their PC..

4) GNOME Users: KDE3 is crap!! It's too buggy and unstable!!

then:

GNOME 2.0 has it's issues but it's a new platform with new technology people. Be patient and they'll get the bugs out. It's a little rough, but you'll definitely see the benefits in the long run.

(I'm sure you can figure out for yourself why that last one is interesting...)

Comment

I would cry tears of joy if KDE 4.7 was just the same thing as 4.6 but with most bugs fixed and most wanted features implemented. I mean, there are bugs and wishes that actually make a lot of sense that are so old now that it's ridiculous. This is the oldest one I found. One day I'm gonna try every single bug number starting from 10 (already did it up to 10) to see if I can find the oldest open kde bug. Who says KDE isn't fun

If they could only stop making stuff up and improve what is already there, KDE would become a very good and solid desktop environment. Oh well... "can't complain because it's free", so I'll just keep casting my votes and reporting bugs.

@RealNC You're still not fed up with all the buggyness? I've recently throwed the towel on my main working machine and switched it to gnome. I'm keeping it in a laptop with Arch so I can keep track. Updating it to 4.6.2 right now. Let's see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                I would cry tears of joy if KDE 4.7 was just the same thing as 4.6 but with most bugs fixed and most wanted features implemented.
                Wait, you want them to release a version is the same except that it has bug fixes and new features? What do you think they've been doing until now, twiddling their thumbs? If they could fix most bugs and implement most features in a single release, don't you think they would have done that already? Introducing new features is going to introduce new bugs, you can't have both.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  This is the oldest one I found.
                  So because any one that requests a feature and they choose not to implement it then it is a travesty?

Comment

I recently switched to KDE after many years of gnome-ing, and I am really satisfied. I found an option to choose WM. Can you imagine that, KDE lets you choose window manager to use! I don't like kwin, and it is slow and very buggy even without composite (I never tried to use composite in the first place) but I use KDE with openbox. Also I used Gnome before with openbox, but there I had to hack and hope that it will start up with openbox (ofcourse you need to see metacity first, very hard to avoid that) !
                    Now we have a Gnome 3, desktop for noobs, but all previous users, 90% at least were not noobs, and they made it for mobile phones in mind?! They pissed 90% of their users. Screw that, KDE is very configurable, developers cooperate with other DE's, they listen to their users, give them the choice to configure the desktop as they want, and now they even congratulate Gnome for release. I think I picked the right DE for many years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Milan View Post
                      I recently switched to KDE after many years of gnome-ing, and I am really satisfied. I found an option to choose WM. Can you imagine that, KDE lets you choose window manager to use! I don't like kwin, and it is slow and very buggy even without composite (I never tried to use composite in the first place) but I use KDE with openbox. Also I used Gnome before with openbox, but there I had to hack and hope that it will start up with openbox (ofcourse you need to see metacity first, very hard to avoid that) !
                      Now we have a Gnome 3, desktop for noobs, but all previous users, 90% at least were not noobs, and they made it for mobile phones in mind?! They pissed 90% of their users. Screw that, KDE is very configurable, developers cooperate with other DE's, they listen to their users, give them the choice to configure the desktop as they want, and now they even congratulate Gnome for release. I think I picked the right DE for many years to come.
                      I don't know if KDE makes it easier, but I did changed my WM in GNOME, I used it a long time with openbox. And I did it without seeing metacity either, nor "hacking" (just from gconf-editor).
                      I agree in the last part, I don't like much the new face of GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                      X