No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.6.2 Codename Is Dedicated To GNOME 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory cursing comment about the short edit time span: FUCK!!!!

PS: Surprisingly this thread hasn't turned out into a bloodbath flame war as is usual in these kind of topics. Very nice to see good and interesting dialogues going on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      than KDE. We can stick to facts and the fact is KDE is much less buggy overall:

KDE bugs/KLoC - 0.019
      GNOME bugs/KLoC - 0.508

http://scan.coverity.com/rung1.html
      This is a static analysis tool, equivalent to e.g. Gendarme for C#. It *cannot* catch bugs in semantics and thus cannot a measure of how 'buggy' an application is. At best, it can see whether the application conforms to the coding guidelines coded into the tool.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        The messed up interface is Gnome Shell. This ends every discussion, because Gnome Shell is something which shouldn't see the day light in at least few months. Not to mention slow as hell compositions in Gnome 3 and its 'no options, no features' mantra. Gnome is better in some things, but I'm certain it's not better in usability.
        Uhmm do you by any chance use the nvidia proprietary driver? That is known to be slow with GS.
        The open source radeon driver just rocks with GS.

I must also disagree with the lack of usability. I find GS something you have to get used to, but when you do, it is very easy and pleseant to use :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
          I do too. So now we're back where we started.
          If you did know even a little about how the software works you wouldn't say what you said.

Someone who understand even the basics of how posix permissions work would know that KDE cannot possibly impact the permissions for CUPS, for example. Someone who understands even the basics of how the FDO application launcher .desktop file system works would know that KDE cannot possibly have any control over which random application launchers a distribution chooses to include. Someone who understands even the basics of how distributions create releases would know that KDE cannot tell distributions which software to include in a given livecd.

These are all pretty basic things. The fact that you blame these things on KDE when KDE cannot have any control over them shows you don't understand how the software works.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            If you did know even a little about how the software works you wouldn't say what you said.

Someone who understand even the basics of how posix permissions work would know that KDE cannot possibly impact the permissions for CUPS, for example. Someone who understands even the basics of how the FDO application launcher .desktop file system works would know that KDE cannot possibly have any control over which random application launchers a distribution chooses to include. Someone who understands even the basics of how distributions create releases would know that KDE cannot tell distributions which software to include in a given livecd.

These are all pretty basic things. The fact that you blame these things on KDE when KDE cannot have any control over them shows you don't understand how the software works.
            If KDE messes up the permissions by default, that has a pretty big impact. If KDE includes a .desktop file for the CUPS web interface, it has control over that launcher. You're way too easily convinced that I don't know anything about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
              If KDE messes up the permissions by default, that has a pretty big impact. If KDE includes a .desktop file for the CUPS web interface, it has control over that launcher. You're way too easily convinced that I don't know anything about this.
              That's the point. KDE does none of those things, OpenSuse did.

Have you even tried running the OpenSuse Gnome liveCD? If it has the same problems, would you then agree that Gnome is at fault?

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                That's the point. KDE does none of those things, OpenSuse did.

Have you even tried running the OpenSuse Gnome liveCD? If it has the same problems, would you then agree that Gnome is at fault?
                I have not even tried that, no.

Comment

• Seriously. Are you guys thick or something? The only reason I'm trolling is because this TheBlackCat dude has been insulting my intelligence from the start. Of course you're right, the things you're focusing on are probably not KDE's fault. The things you're ignoring are KDE's fault though.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Oh yes, that's right. I just upgraded to 4.6.2. This is how my desktop looks now:

Notice how the top panel is located away from the top edge of the screen, where it used to be. I have to push it up every single time I restart the computer. Luckily suspend/hibernation works! Also note how the cashew button on the bottom panel is covering the shutdown/end session icons, although the panel's max size is set to the maximum width of the screen. Sure these aren't show-stopping bugs, but they are irritating.
                    I had the same bug with KDE after the update to 4.6.2. I 'fixed' it by deleting a configuration file. I think it was ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc

I don't know why on every KDE update it brakes config files. I think there are 5 or 10 devs with limited time to test...

Comment

• Originally posted by siban View Post
                      I had the same bug with KDE after the update to 4.6.2. I 'fixed' it by deleting a configuration file. I think it was ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc

I don't know why on every KDE update it brakes config files. I think there are 5 or 10 devs with limited time to test...
                      Lack of proper unit testing, mainly.

Comment

Working...
                      X