Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 2900XT or 8800GTX

Hello, which one should i choose. hd2900 with 1 gb ddr4 or 8800gtx
    i play on 1900x1200 resolution so would be hd2900 with 1gb better choose? thanks

With the current state of the drivers under Linux one can only recommend Nvidia (actually, not-recommend ATI, which only leaves Nvidia).

Comment

Originally posted by slava View Post
      Hello, which one should i choose. hd2900 with 1 gb ddr4 or 8800gtx
      i play on 1900x1200 resolution so would be hd2900 with 1gb better choose? thanks
      It depends whether you have faith in the "new ATI driver". If you do, stick with ATI.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

older generation cards are much more cost-effective and perform just as good with HD video. (i can watch hd with no problems on x1300 card).

there's no point running after newest gfx cards, because they're overpriced right now.

Comment

AMDs Radeon HD 2900 XT is not overprized. I would buy the AMD one. Why? 'Cause I'm an AMD/ATI-Fan, never had problems (outside the fglrx driver) and Made in Germany > Made in China.

If you're running Linux only, you'll have to wait two or more months before you buy the AMD card, because we can't say when it will be supported by fglrx at the moment.

Comment

AMDs Radeon HD 2900 XT is not overprized
            that depends on where you live of course. and i was talking from my local point of view. (next time i'll think about situation in US instead, sorry).

in my country 8800 (the cheaper model) costs 80% of average monthly earnings. the GTX one costs ~150% - 250% of monthly average pay.

2900XT costs ~90% of average monthly pay. or more.

i earn 60% of average monthly pay. how's that?

Comment

I live in Germany.

The HD 2900 XT is a bit more expensive than the 8800 GTS (~ 325 € since launch), yes, but without AA/AF it is even faster than the 8800 GTX. And with AA/AF, performance is nearly the same (it has improved a lot with the recent driver updates). And the 1 GB version of the Radeon HD 2900 XT that the thread opener can get is known to be faster than the normal one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It depends whether you have faith in the "new ATI driver". If you do, stick with ATI.
                Heh... I guess that means I'll be sticking with NVidia for now... >:-)

Comment

Im hoping AMD will release a 65nm R600 based card in Q4 to compete with G90. Should drop power consumption a bit and hopefully there will be a cut down high mid-end part(like the X1950pro)

Comment

AMD Windows Catalyst 7.8 will have some nice performance improvements for the HD 2900 series, so I still would recommend buying the AMD card.

The next highend card will be a dual RV670 board, I'm wondering about the power it needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X