Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hot-Replace Server For Wayland Is Proposed

Phoronix: A Hot-Replace Server For Wayland Is Proposed

While proposals for this year's Google Summer of Code is quickly coming to an end, there's been a last minute proposal for the Wayland Display Server. This proposal is to work on a hot-replace server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think Wayland is part of the projects approved for GSoC 2011. Is this proposal going to be part of the X.org bunch?

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
      I don't think Wayland is part of the projects approved for GSoC 2011. Is this proposal going to be part of the X.org bunch?
      According to this, you are completely right.

Comment

this sound like a great idea.

Comment

what is the purpose and the advantages of being able to hot-replace the server????

can someone explain?

Comment

It allows the server to be replaced with a different one. In theory, Wayland servers include the window manager and compositor behavior built in (though nothing about the protocol stops you from building a server that uses a separate process for those) and you may want to swap those out. Same as today you can swap out window managers or compositors on X11 today.

Also, it allows apps to recover from a server crash. Which seems to happen often enough already on X11. You want the system to be resilient. Nothing sucks harder than having a single buggy process bring down your entire desktop and all your applications and data working set.

Comment

Can it solve issue with nvidia optimus?

Comment

I wonder if this could be used to move an application from one server to another, similar to that ancient tool xmove. Though I gather Wayland won't have the so-called "network transparency" that makes X11 Forwarding work. Has that situation changed? I think it's very important.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  It allows the server to be replaced with a different one. In theory, Wayland servers include the window manager and compositor behavior built in (though nothing about the protocol stops you from building a server that uses a separate process for those) and you may want to swap those out. Same as today you can swap out window managers or compositors on X11 today.

Also, it allows apps to recover from a server crash. Which seems to happen often enough already on X11. You want the system to be resilient. Nothing sucks harder than having a single buggy process bring down your entire desktop and all your applications and data working set.
                  thanks

@Chewi
                  Wayland afaik WILL have the same functionality with X. It will just not be in the protocol.

Comment

Thanks for that info, 89c51.

Comment

Working...
                    X