Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composite Desktop and the GeForce 8xxx Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite Desktop and the GeForce 8xxx Series?

I have a GeForce 8600GTS. I'm looking at using EVGA's "step up" program to net me an 8800GTS 320MB.

With that in mind, how's the 8800 driver? Being brand-spanking-new, the 8600 driver is slow as BALLS with any composite manager. Not only that, performance degrades over time, BADLY.

By comparison, let's say you have two rigs, side-by-side, one with Intel's GMA 950 and the other with Nvidia's GeForce 8600. You turn on Beryl or Compiz, whichever you prefer. Right off the bat, resizing a window is MUCH faster on the 950. Let's say you start the Opera browser. Switching tabs is NEW KINDS of faster on the 950, and it only gets DISASTEROUSLY slower after a few hours pass on the 8600. I mean, not doing anything. You take a nap and come back, your browser experience is slower.

Now mind you, I recognize it's a new driver, and hopefully the update in a couple of months is better, but for a variety of other reasons I'll be moving to the 8800 soon. With that, a few questions for any 8800 users frequenting these boards.

1. Are the problems listed above an issue for you?
    2. Do you get xvmc support or is that gone for the entire 8xxx line?

Mind you, all things considered, it's still better than getting an HD 2xxx card; I'd rather have a working desktop before Smash Bros. Brawl comes out.

I forgot to mention this : In the 8600's favor, video playback, with either Mplayer or Totem, just doesn't happen on intel's GMA (while a compiz/beryl is running). If I set mplayer to gl, I get some semblance of video, but it's still pretty messy. In addition, the blur plugin doesn't run on GMA at all. So it comes down to this : 3D stuff is faster on Nvidia as long as it doesn't involving moving/resizing windows. Strange, no?

Wow, +100 views and no replies. Is it 'cause the topic's phrased wierdly? I figured I might be able to get a heads up here at least on my queries =3

I seriously wanna know if I'm better off going to 8800 or if I should just wait it out and see if the drivers improve. I have 2 weeks to make this decision.

Did the 7xxx series have this problem early on? I recall even a 7100 not having much trouble with composite/3D desktops.
    Last edited by mukiex; 01 August 2007, 06:16 AM.

Originally posted by mukiex View Post
    I have a GeForce 8600GTS. I'm looking at using EVGA's "step up" program to net me an 8800GTS 320MB.
    I have a Geforce 8600GS.

Originally posted by mukiex View Post
    With that in mind, how's the 8800 driver? Being brand-spanking-new, the 8600 driver is slow as BALLS with any composite manager. Not only that, performance degrades over time, BADLY.

By comparison, let's say you have two rigs, side-by-side, one with Intel's GMA 950 and the other with Nvidia's GeForce 8600. You turn on Beryl or Compiz, whichever you prefer. Right off the bat, resizing a window is MUCH faster on the 950. Let's say you start the Opera browser. Switching tabs is NEW KINDS of faster on the 950, and it only gets DISASTEROUSLY slower after a few hours pass on the 8600. I mean, not doing anything. You take a nap and come back, your browser experience is slower.

Now mind you, I recognize it's a new driver, and hopefully the update in a couple of months is better, but for a variety of other reasons I'll be moving to the 8800 soon. With that, a few questions for any 8800 users frequenting these boards.

1. Are the problems listed above an issue for you?
    2. Do you get xvmc support or is that gone for the entire 8xxx line?

Mind you, all things considered, it's still better than getting an HD 2xxx card; I'd rather have a working desktop before Smash Bros. Brawl comes out.

I forgot to mention this : In the 8600's favor, video playback, with either Mplayer or Totem, just doesn't happen on intel's GMA (while a compiz/beryl is running). If I set mplayer to gl, I get some semblance of video, but it's still pretty messy. In addition, the blur plugin doesn't run on GMA at all. So it comes down to this : 3D stuff is faster on Nvidia as long as it doesn't involving moving/resizing windows. Strange, no?

Wow, +100 views and no replies. Is it 'cause the topic's phrased wierdly? I figured I might be able to get a heads up here at least on my queries =3

I seriously wanna know if I'm better off going to 8800 or if I should just wait it out and see if the drivers improve. I have 2 weeks to make this decision.

Did the 7xxx series have this problem early on? I recall even a 7100 not having much trouble with composite/3D desktops.
    I'm experiencing huge slowdowns when composite is enabled. Beryl, Compiz or just XFCE compositor are all slow.
    Eg:
    * In compiz, dragging a window (or other effect) is very slow on the first few seconds.
    * In XFCE Compositor, working with terminal is a pain. Every window operation on the terminal is slow and hangs screen drawing for few miliseconds.

With Xorg composite disabled, everything is fine.

- -
    Linux 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 x86_64 (SMP)
    AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
    nVidia nForce MCP65
    NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 169.09
    xorg-server-1.3.0.0
    mesa-6.5.2

Comment

It is a known problem that with 8xxx series cards 2d acceleration is reeeeeally bad. Xrender acceleration is appalling in comparison to intel gpus. The slowness in browsing and resizing is related to that. Glx acceleration of course is much better but for desktop usage it doesn't really matter.

There probably also won't be any xvmc on these cards due to their architectural differences

Comment

Working...
      X