No announcement yet.

Best PCMCIA wireless b/g card for FC6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best PCMCIA wireless b/g card for FC6?

I realize that everyone has their own opinion on 'best'. I just upgraded to FC6 and to my surprise, my Orinoco b card was automatically recognized and ran well.

I am now looking for a wireless b/g card, and have the luxury of trying to find the card that will work best with FC6. All of the Googling that I have done leads me to people telling their woes about getting their existing card to work.

I looked at a Linksys MIMO srx, but I am guessing that just a plain vanilla g card would be best.

Any help or opinions greatly appreciated.

David.

For a while now I have been a big fan of the Atheros wireless Chipsets. Going back to the days of FC3/FC4 I have had excellent results with MadWifi (http://madwifi.org/). D-Link, NetGear, and others produce PCMCIA cards with the Atheros Chipset.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidF View Post
      I realize that everyone has their own opinion on 'best'. I just upgraded to FC6 and to my surprise, my Orinoco b card was automatically recognized and ran well.

I am now looking for a wireless b/g card, and have the luxury of trying to find the card that will work best with FC6. All of the Googling that I have done leads me to people telling their woes about getting their existing card to work.

I looked at a Linksys MIMO srx, but I am guessing that just a plain vanilla g card would be best.

Any help or opinions greatly appreciated.

David.
      I have an Intel 2945ABG mini-PCI card that recently replaced my computer's original and venerable Orinoco 802.11b unit. I paid $30 for the 2945 and it works very well under Gentoo. If you don't care about 802.11a support, the 2200BG is a similar card and costs $2 less. They both use Intel's ipw2200 driver which seems to be pretty decent. I recommend the 2945/2200 and you should do well with it.

Comment

Working...
      X