Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

Phoronix: Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

Dell knows it won't happen overnight, but along side wanting to ship audio/video codecs, Intel Wireless 80.211N support for Linux, Broadcom Wireless for Linux, and being able to ship notebooks and desktops with Compiz Fusion enabled, Dell would like to see improved ATI Linux drivers. At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

Dell knows it won't happen overnight, but along side wanting to ship audio/video codecs, Intel Wireless 80.211N support for Linux, Broadcom Wireless for Linux, and being able to ship notebooks and desktops with Compiz Fusion enabled, Dell would like to see improved ATI Linux drivers. At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NTkxOA
    Looking at this and the other pictures I noticed we were at most of the same sessions today. Too bad we didn't hook up!

I was the guy in the yellow shirt and tan cap that identified myself as being from the "user desktop community" asking Amit if they would put the screws to ATI, Nvidia and Adobe for open source and 64 bit support by suggesting that Michael Dell use a 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by psyopper View Post
      I was the guy in the yellow shirt and tan cap that identified myself as being from the "user desktop community" asking Amit if they would put the screws to ATI, Nvidia and Adobe for open source and 64 bit support by suggesting that Michael Dell use a 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Ah yes, I remember. I hope you enjoyed your Ubuntu Live 2007 pass
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

about time somebody put more pressure on ati. because they don't seem to care about _our_ opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by psyopper View Post
          Looking at this and the other pictures I noticed we were at most of the same sessions today. Too bad we didn't hook up!

Hope you had fun there! Circumstances precluded me going at all this year (And it doesn't look like I'll catch LinuxWorld or GDC next year either...sigh... Well, at least I've got QuakeCon, right? )

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            about time somebody put more pressure on ati. because they don't seem to care about _our_ opinion.
            Dell'd be one of the only groups with real pull with them, I suspect.

Comment

Wow, I personally think this is a really positive step for the GNU-Linux world. Real industry pressure to improve something that is a real sticking point for new and experienced users alike.

Well done Dell.

Exciting times, eh?

Maybe they'll do the same for VIA's Unichrome drivers!!

Regards,

J1M.

Comment

well it still depends on ati's reaction.

they may pretend they didn't hear about that.

Comment

That is, of course, a possibility.

But there is a big difference between me (I've bought one ATI graphics card) asking for that and Dell (They've bought at least, um, seven I think) asking for it.

J1M.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
                    That is, of course, a possibility.

But there is a big difference between me (I've bought one ATI graphics card) asking for that and Dell (They've bought at least, um, seven I think) asking for it.

J1M.
                    Heh... Dell asking for "better" support publicly is NOT a good thing for AMD to have happen to them.

I'm sure they'll pay attention to that comment...

Comment

Working...
                    X