KWin Now Supports Suspended Compositing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    As I said, my Win7 menu doesn't even hesitate when clicked, it fires up instantly. I'm using a run-of-the-mill 1TB hard drive, 4GB memory and a Phenom II 555 (2-core, 3.2GHz).
    Yeah, me too. I've never noticed even the tiniest delay in the Win7 menu. The only times i've seen it acting slow were when i was searching for something in the text box and it didn't come up immediately, and that's the results within the menu coming up slow not the menu itself or the buttons in it.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Especially since not everyone wants to run a composited desktop.
      Yeah kwins compositing has always been HORRIBLY slow on my ati card (hd2600) with both fglrx and oss drivers, downright unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        Yeah kwins compositing has always been HORRIBLY slow on my ati card (hd2600) with both fglrx and oss drivers, downright unusable.
        I don't know, the only time I tried (I was about to install arch for a friend, he wanted KDE and I didn't want to disappoint my friend while switching to linux :P) it just worked (TM) in my radeon mobile hd 3200... (tested with kubuntu live)

Comment

It does work, but if you start opening many windows in various workspaces things start to get really slow. With just one window on-screen it's usually fine in lower class hardware like that. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of shared memory.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            It does work, but if you start opening many windows in various workspaces things start to get really slow. With just one window on-screen it's usually fine in lower class hardware like that. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of shared memory.
            Then, you must make clear statements; if you say "it runs horribly slow", I'll take the "horribly" like "I can not maximize a window without brutal lag!"; that IS horribly slow. Obviously, if I will test a DE I will not use, I'll just test it works OK and it is stable and fast for non intensive tasks, as that is what the actual user (my friend, I don't mean it general) will do with Linux. Also, he uses medium to high gamma hardware, so the only concern I had was about stability :P

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              Then, you must make clear statements; if you say "it runs horribly slow", I'll take the "horribly" like "I can not maximize a window without brutal lag!"; that IS horribly slow. Obviously, if I will test a DE I will not use, I'll just test it works OK and it is stable and fast for non intensive tasks, as that is what the actual user (my friend, I don't mean it general) will do with Linux. Also, he uses medium to high gamma hardware, so the only concern I had was about stability :P
              Emmm, I'm not sure if you even made the first statement, so my apologizes if you are not the one I must tell that.

Comment

My video card has 512mb dedicated gddr3 which should be more than enough for a composting window manager. KDE is very unresponsive. The animations lag, menus are slow to load (especially the main menu). Its just all around sluggish on a machine that should be able to run it fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  My video card has 512mb dedicated gddr3 which should be more than enough for a composting window manager. KDE is very unresponsive. The animations lag, menus are slow to load (especially the main menu). Its just all around sluggish on a machine that should be able to run it fine.
                  That seems more serious than what I experience on my HD4200. Are you sure 3D acceleration is enabled and you're not using XRender instead?

Comment

That seems more serious than what I experience on my HD4200. Are you sure 3D acceleration is enabled and you're not using XRender instead?
                    Yeah, I just tested the latest kde 4.6.2 and I have full 3d acceleration. Its not as quite as bad as it used to be in the latest kde, but still very noticeably slower than compiz, mutter, or xfwm on my system.

Comment

I can confirm that it is indeed slower than Compiz. You could also try using compiz on KDE. I was a bit reluctant to try that, but it works really well.

Comment

Working...
                      X