Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Proposals For The Linux Community

Phoronix: Exciting Proposals For The Linux Community

As a follow-up to What Would Be Crazy For Linux Right Now, here are some of the interesting responses by the Phoronix community for what announcements would be pivotal for Linux and open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1 aprill? dadasdasd

Comment

wtf..
      Wishful thinking: The Best of ?

Comment

There are only two things on that list that I'd actually want.

On another note, remind me not to check the site tomorrow.

Comment

some of those ideas were definitely important or even mandatory such as (not just acrobat but) all adobe products being linux compatible, the different types of video acceleration, steam on linux, directx being linux compatible, and opengl 4.1. linux could seriously use stuff like that.

HOWEVER

i'm legitimately disappointed about some of those ideas in that list. seriously people, more than half of that stuff should NOT happen. its not even the idea that it won't happen or "it would be nice", it simply shouldn't ever happen. if you don't like how itunes doesn't work or there isn't 1 unified desktop environment or how flash isn't under gpl then seriously, stop using linux. those aren't legitimate, unavoidable problems.
          to me, the different desktop environments is one of the benefits of linux. instead of having 1 unified DE there should be unified toolkits. gtk and qt are different for specific reasons but it is inconvenient if you only want 1 program that uses them.

some of this stuff actually just pisses me off and makes me wonder what people are even thinking. such as linus joining microsoft or opengl losing patents. are you HOPING linux will fail? and some things are just simply irrational - its not even a matter of "wouldn't this be cool!" because the ideas so far-fetched. for example, windows, ms office, and/or vmware being available under gpl. why is that a good idea? why do we WANT windows? why do you want programs like vmware or ms office to lose paid, dedicated support? Those programs are the best of their kind and the fact that they're proprietary with dedicated developers that makes them better. some of you may disagree with me on this, but just look at openoffice - i like it very much but it still has a way to go and it has had many companies work on it.

i think these people just want all products to be free. if they have any common sense, developmental skills, business knowledge, or the awareness of the purpose of linux, they'll realize that the ideas i mentioned are not acceptable, or even fathomable.

Comment

Nice stuff that I'd love to see happen in Linux-land and many of those items should be achievable with some luck and perseverance not to mention needing a large warchest funded by donations from penguin lovers.

- Apple iTunes gets a native Linux client - if Apple can see the light
            - Unrestricted right to S3TC granted to open source projects - this should be possible with some negotiation with S3's legal dept
            - Gnome, KDE, Xfce & LXDE to unite into one universal linux desktop called KGXL - dunno about that
            - Steam migrates to Android (didn't they already announce this?) - pie in the sky it sounds
            - Microsoft releases all versions of DirectX under BSD license - when pigs fly but is it really needed?
            - Microsoft Visual Studio for Linux - sounds nice but is it worth it?
            - Microsoft releases Windows 8 under the GPL
            - Canonical and Gnome decide to work together - a strong possibility
            - Microsoft releases Office 2012 under the GPL - when hell freezes over and Ballmer is out.
            - A stable release of GNU/Hurd - about time if this comes to pass
            - Linux PowerVR driver with OpenGL 4.1 support - should also be doable with some negotiations
            - Linus Torvalds accepts the position of Head Windows Developer at Microsoft - lol wut?
            - Official release of the E17 window manager - that would be awesome
            - Linux users stop resorting to denial as way to fixing issues - great one...with some user education
            - AMD/ATI releasing a FOSS video acceleration API for decoding/encoding H264/MPEG-2/MPEG-4 videos
            - Adobe Acrobat X Professional for Linux - only if Adobe can get its head out of the sand
            - VMware Workstation is released under the GPLv2 - that be cool if it were to happen
            - Java 7 final and OpenJDK 7 are officially released - we shall see
            - Adobe releases Flash under GPLv3 - doubt it, unless Adobe gets some Linux loving senior management
            - Nokia drops Windows Phone 7 plans - if they finally wake up and realize what they'd get into
            - Debian GNU/MINIX is announced - interesting if it comes to pass
            - Linux reaches 5% market share - awesome!
            - OpenGL patents are invalidated - would take a mountain of prior art and a strong legal case
            - Ubuntu Bug #1 is marked as fixed and closed - the oldest bug

Comment

GNU/HURD isn't that hard to make. It's the servers that implement some stuff on top of a kernel. They could just use MINIX instead, but because there is a working Linux kernel they just focus on an uberkernel, which is taking a while (no point in releasing something dissapointing that works).

Comment

@Schmidtbag

I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. There are just too many stupid points to take it seriously.

Comment

"Microsoft Visual Studio for Linux - sounds nice but is it worth it?"

since that was my suggestion I'll say why I made it: first off, I'm an application developer, I'm using linux at my home and I love that whole concept and the kernel and just nearly everything around it (except rpm, that's just evil ). However, since I programmed most of my programs during my traineeship and my time as employee with C# I kinda love that language. (don't get me wrong: I don't like Microsoft and in my eyes most of the stuff they do is either copied or just wrong/bad/buggy) but with that whole .NET thing and C# and Visual Studio they did something wonderful. I've yet to see any IDE that has the comfort of Visual Studio, you don't have to focus on minor things like binding the GUI with the code and the event handlers, you just do it (and since WPF you can do real MVC developing), BUT you can go down to that level where you can decide how to bind those things etc.

I never saw anything like that when I tried IDEs for linux. Instead you've to handle those low-level things, and that's something that's not what linux developers can do and what linux stands for. In almost every case you can just click a few times and everything is installed and runs but on the other hand you can go down and compile everything from scratch. It's the persons choice. And I really don't understand why that's not the case when it comes to programming under linux, there you've to take the hard way and that's wrong in my eyes.

plus: because of mono c# is a multi-platform language.

and because of that: yes, it is worth it. (look at banshee, it's one of the best music players we got)

Comment

Unrestricted right to S3TC granted to open source projects - BPTC is way better and has no patent claims.
                    Linux PowerVR driver with OpenGL 4.1 support - We would need way more powerful hardware which is capable of utilizing tessellation

My wishlist (short period):
                    - nVidia release optimus support and gaming profiles for their proprietary drivers.
                    - AMD improving performance and add good video acceleration to their proprietary drivers.
                    - Fully programmable pipeline on GPUs, perhaps from OpenCL kernels. ("OpenGL 5.0")
                    - A software package to generate distribution specific packages without doing it manually.

Long term:
                    - nVidia and AMD making an open source fork in their source tree.
                    - Software companies start realizing the potential in the GNU/Linux market.
                    - Schools and governments primary use free software.

Comment

Working...
                    X