Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel Sandy Bridge Performance Goes Up Again

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Please Michael show more graphics hardware benchmarks as a reference, ati or nvidia (preferably both), this way would be easy to see how the performance of SB compares to different hardware / driver.
    You can do so using Openbenchmarking.org

Will H264 VAAPI support for 4500MHD ever be ready? Been waiting for ages, and getting really pissed.
    I'm thinking about throwing my Dell with Ubuntu out to the garbage, and getting a Macbook

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBSD View Post
    Will H264 VAAPI support for 4500MHD ever be ready?
    Magic 8 Ball says "Very doubtful".

This is looking good. The 2.6.40 kernel will probably land around the same time decent mATX z68 based boards are going mainstream. Intel seems to be getting the drivers straight. Just in time for a second HTPC build

Please Michael show more graphics hardware benchmarks as a reference, ati or nvidia (preferably both), this way would be easy to see how the performance of SB compares to different hardware / driver.
    I managed to cobble together a comparison from OpenBenchmarking.org, showing Phoronix's latest AMD and Noveau benchmarks versus this intel one. The hardware aside from graphics looks to be the same. (And ugh, openbenchmarking.org is hard to use ):

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...IV-OPENWS00394

Intel doesn't have far to go to catch up with AMD and noveau open source (which is impressive given their respective hardware...)

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Magic 8 Ball says "Very doubtful".
    Garbage day!

Quote Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
    I managed to cobble together a comparison from OpenBenchmarking.org...
    Thx, interesting data, intel is the only one whose open drivers performs pretty decent, taking into account hardware limitations, noveau and r600g perform horrible.

Thx, interesting data, intel is the only one whose open drivers performs pretty decent, taking into account hardware limitations, noveau and r600g perform horrible.
    Intel has done well. My current HTPC is a 4500 and has worked well enough for ages thanks to Intel (hardware video decoding not withstanding).

The gallium drivers are still new, give em time and they'll reflect the true power of the hardware.

What I'd like to know is if all these new performance improvements will be able to be ported to Gallium3d if/when Intel makes the switch, or if they will only work with classic mesa3d.

Quote Originally Posted by Prescience500 View Post
    What I'd like to know is if all these new performance improvements will be able to be ported to Gallium3d if/when Intel makes the switch, or if they will only work with classic mesa3d.
    They are staying with classic right now. It sux, but it gives results. I hope they realize Gallium3D power and make the switch. As I am new to Intel universe, here is a question: Does it support s3tc?