No announcement yet.

Intel Sandy Bridge Performance Goes Up Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know older graphics are not really supported anymore, but how does this changes affect older graphics?, did anyone compare it with PTS?
    I'd love a bit more performance out of my 945GME but I know it's difficult.
    Anyone knoes if only the codepaths of sandy bridge are updated?, can this be "ported" to older hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      [b]Users can manually upgrade their kernel (and Mesa too, since Ubuntu 11.04 is using Mesa 7.10.x), but that is not advised for novice desktop users as it can cause repercussions in other areas of your system.
      For us novices who opt to ignore your warning, are there any guides for doing it anyway? Would you recommend the xorg-edgers PPA?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        They are staying with classic right now. It sux, but it gives results. I hope they realize Gallium3D power and make the switch.
        I know, hence the "if." My "what if" question about whether they could port these optimizations to gallium3d "if" or when they switch still remains.

Comment

I'm going to speculate the reason Linux driver performance is now so close to Windows is because Windows driver doesn't expose full potential. The latest graphics driver for Windows, 2361 claims up to 43% benefit in the games tested: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2003...se%20notes.pdf

Someone also benched it and verified the results, although the gains are lower, its still there: http://communities.intel.com/message/124739

Here's what the release note claims: "Hardware Transform and Lighting support in OpenGL added. Increases performance in certain
          OpenGL applications."

That sounds similar to the Linux patch for enabling 60 VS threads, doesn't it?

Comment

I just got a new sandy bridge laptop, can't wait for this kernel The performance of these integrated graphics is already seem faster than my dedicated ati card was in linux.

Comment

What was your dedicated ati card? Can you be more specific about the performance?

I know there was a joke somewhere but I am seriously wondering about Intel's graphics support w/ Sandybridge especially when it concerns laptops.

The integrated Intel gpu in say i3-2410? How is the support?

Comment

I was actually wrong that my laptop was a sandy bridge, mine is one gen before that (Arrandale) The processor is an i5 460m

And support has been excellent. My old card was a 512mb hd2600. Felt like garbage in linux compared to this. I also have vaapi working perfectly with VLC player without having to do any dicking around, I haven't had a problem with the graphics yet.

I'm running gnome 3 on it and its super responsive and great for web browsing/video. Scrolling was total garbage on the ati card with any compositing enabled, with the intel card I can use smooth scrolling in firefox/opera/chrome with no issues, just as smooth as windows.

Comment

Something is very wrong

Ok, something in my system should be wrong.

I have seen reports from phoronix on i3-2100 with 2.6.39 openarena 800x600 tests at 180fps.

My system can only run 110fps with mesa from git.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by isaque View Post
                    Ok, something in my system should be wrong.

I have seen reports from phoronix on i3-2100 with 2.6.39 openarena 800x600 tests at 180fps.

My system can only run 110fps with mesa from git.

What am I doing wrong?
                    Found my problem: MTRR.

Compiled kernel with CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER_ENABLE_DEFAULT=1 and voil?, got 217fps.

Comment

kernel MTRR

Originally posted by isaque View Post
                      Found my problem: MTRR.

Compiled kernel with CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER_ENABLE_DEFAULT=1 and voil?, got 217fps.
                      Hi, I am using linux 2.6.38 from kernel ppa on Ubuntu 10.10. will I get performance boost with MTRR enabled. my graphics is Intel GMA 4500. if I will how to enable MTRR.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X