Thread: Intel Sandy Bridge Performance Goes Up Again

Hybrid View

Default Intel Sandy Bridge Performance Goes Up Again

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge Performance Goes Up Again

At the beginning of the month I reported on a small patch to Mesa that resulted in a huge performance improvement for Intel Sandy Bridge graphics, but Intel's OSTC developers have bumped up the performance of the latest-generation graphics processors even more. With the LLC caching patch-set, which should be committed to the Linux 2.6.40 kernel (not the current 2.6.39 cycle), there are measurable OpenGL performance improvements.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15863

I am sorry AMD. I am fan of yours, but Llano is too late now. When all problems resolve and motherboards become mainstream it will be end of the year already. I will get one of those i3-2100, since I am not much of a gamer, but open video acceleration is much of importance for me.
    I wish Intel, keep the good work with all open source projects, and keep evolving Mesa

I am still a fanboy, but not at all cost

I'm also cheering Intel. They may be the ones who bring OpenGL 3 to X land. And restart-free graphic switching, and, and, and.

Unfortunately Intel seam to adopt OpenGL 4.1 really slowly

There is nothing stopping Ubuntu or any other distro from backporting these changes into what ever kernel they decide to ship

This looks extremely sexy.
    Im looking at selling my AMD rig and puchasing 2,5k.
    Opencore is not opensource, proprietary with always half-arsed opensource strategy is not opensource really.

I'm simultaniously happy about this and sad about the older intel gfx still sucking horribly. Is something like this not possible for them too?

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    [b]Users can manually upgrade their kernel (and Mesa too, since Ubuntu 11.04 is using Mesa 7.10.x), but that is not advised for novice desktop users as it can cause repercussions in other areas of your system.
    For us novices who opt to ignore your warning, are there any guides for doing it anyway? Would you recommend the xorg-edgers PPA?