Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framebuffer Hell in OpenSuse10.2 (1900xt, Gnome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framebuffer Hell in OpenSuse10.2 (1900xt, Gnome)

Hello, I did search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I just installed Opensuse on my desktop. It did not detect my GPU, and is currently running in 1024x720 in framebuffer mode. It looks pretty bad on my 1440x900 widescreen. I couldn't find presets for my monitor in the hardware config, either. So I went to the suse wiki (http://en.opensuse.org/Howto/ATI_Dri...stall_packages) and tried to follow the ati driver install instructions, but to no avail. I am new to linux and have no idea how to run the commands correctly. I'm worried that the card simply isn't being recognised by the OS.

Call me lazy (I am) but I expected the OS to detect it and ask if I wanted to install drivers.

I also tried to use Konvenient Suse to get it done, but I couldn't even install that.

I have a similar problem in Ubuntu, though it is limited to incorrect resolution rather than being able to install the drivers.

Signed,

Incompetent and at your mercy.

PS:
    The monitor is a Belinea 1925S1W. The prod. # was not listed in the monitor list in Yast.

Running one computer here with Opensuse 10.2 and x1900xt.... It should be ok...

I will try to explain 'the easy'st' way (i hope).

First of all you need to open Yast2 and install kernel-source and gcc.

Download the driver from ati (remember where you save it):

open your gnome-terminal, write su and enter your root password

write init 3 and it shuts down gnome...

login as root in the terminal

cd to where you downloaded (propably Desktop) so, cd to your home's desktop (cd /home/[username]/Desktop)

Build an RPM package, you need to know wheter you installed 32 or 64 bit linux?!

If 32bit run (change name if not the same driver):
    sh ati-driver-installer-8.38.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-IA32

If 64bit run (change name if not the same driver):
    sh ati-driver-installer-8.38.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-AMD64

Now it should build a RPM file....

If all went well you would have a file called something like:
    fglrx_7_1_0_SUSE102-8.38.6-1.i386.rpm (if 32bit)

now install the rpm with:
    rpm -ivh fglrx_7_1_0_SUSE102-8.38.6-1.i386.rpm

When finished you need to update Xorg like this:
    sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

All there is left is to write: init 5 ... and login to gnome ....

Maybe not the best explanation ...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's a good explanation, the best one I've come across. I'll try it out tonight and report back to you...hopefully from my 3d accelerated suse!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbywolf View Post
        Thanks for the reply. It's a good explanation, the best one I've come across. I'll try it out tonight and report back to you...hopefully from my 3d accelerated suse!
        I wish you good luck with both driver and Linux... But offcource it takes some time to get used to (so don't give up!!! it's worth it!!!).... ... Btw. we really enjoy opensuse here... ...

Comment

Ok, so I'm stuck on step 6. Whenever I try to CD to my desktop, it claims that the folder doesn't exist.

I type:
          cd/home/craig0/desktop

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Ok, so I'm stuck on step 6. Whenever I try to CD to my desktop, it claims that the folder doesn't exist.

I type:
            cd/home/craig0/desktop

What am I doing wrong?
            Linux is case sensitive... ... Desktop not desktop!... thats all...

Comment

I thought I'd tried that, but maybe I got something else wrong in the process. Ok, time to try again.

By the way, is there a way to get back into Gnome after using the init3 command? Makes it easier for me to come back here and bother you with silly questions.

Comment

I thought I'd tried that, but maybe I got something else wrong in the process. Ok, time to try again.

By the way, is there a way to get back into Gnome after using the init3 command? Makes it easier for me to come back here and bother you with silly questions.
                Well 'init 5' starts X and gnome again.... ... but what the heck.. no questions are silly... ... (i still remember when i dumped windows and tried out linux... :-) ...)....

Comment

Ok, this should be the last question:

I completed the rest of the steps with no problem, but after updating xorg, my monitor gave me the Out of Frequency message. I imagine this is because I put in an incorrect screen resolution when I was trying to work out how to get the right one.

Is there a way to get back in and change the resolution again? I'm assuming that I should use failsafe?

Comment

Ok, this should be the last question:

I completed the rest of the steps with no problem, but after updating xorg, my monitor gave me the Out of Frequency message. I imagine this is because I put in an incorrect screen resolution when I was trying to work out how to get the right one.

Is there a way to get back in and change the resolution again? I'm assuming that I should use failsafe?
                    Ah ok... yepp use failsafe, and run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx again... when the dialog appears just press ok and save the settings.. (normally you wont need to change anything)... then restart without failsafe...

Comment

Working...
                    X