Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's The Special AMD Present For Ubuntu Users

Phoronix: Here's The Special AMD Present For Ubuntu Users

As talked about at length yesterday, the Catalyst 11.3 driver that was just released is not compatible with the X.Org Server 1.10 final ABI. What this means is that this proprietary Linux driver update will not work on Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15, and other Linux distributions experiencing major updates. AMD for at least the past seven Ubuntu releases has been seeding Canonical with driver pre-releases to meet the support deadline on new versions of this popular Linux operating system. Over last night, they did this once more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if we change the controparts, why every release of xorg break compatibility?

Comment

Switchable graphics? That sounds interesting...

Is this netbook-only or can my hybrid Intel/ATI desktop pc also do this? Also, how does this work with KMS? It was my understanding that the Intel driver *required* KMS to be present whereas the ATI driver required KMS to be *not present*.

Comment

Why can't they do as nVidia does? Have official driver releases and BETA for ALL users, not selected group of ONE distribution.
        Reading stuff like this makes me happy I'm not an AMD user...
        Rob
        email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
          Why can't they do as nVidia does? Have official driver releases and BETA for ALL users, not selected group of ONE distribution.
          They're going to support only the well known major distros with a lot of customers. That basically means Ubuntu and Redhat for the most part. RHEL *is* supported -- doesn't need the "beta" releases, and the RH product most in need of the "beta" releases is Fedora, which doesn't ***WANT*** the blob driver. That basically means that its going to be all about ubuntu.

Comment

@bridgman

It is a very bad practice that the .orig.tar.gz does not contain the full ati-driver-installer. Can you publish the file as preview just it was done with several other drivers before like the opengl 4 preview?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              They're going to support only the well known major distros with a lot of customers. That basically means Ubuntu and Redhat for the most part. RHEL *is* supported -- doesn't need the "beta" releases, and the RH product most in need of the "beta" releases is Fedora, which doesn't ***WANT*** the blob driver. That basically means that its going to be all about ubuntu.
              There are other distros which enjoy considerable user share and AMD's exclusivity doesn't benefit everyone else in the ecosystem. RHEL has its own beta cycles and it is distinctly different from Fedora in terms of lifecycle, updates, QA etc. AMD's failure to provide drivers to Fedora users is not because Fedora users don't want them. Some do. Some don't but it is not a monolithic entity.

The more important factor is that such exclusivity is not needed with open source drivers. Red Hat (thankfully with good amount of support from AMD and others) will continue to invest significantly on them to improve the situation for everybody instead of just one or two distributions that the vendor has the time or business interest to support.

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
                AMD doesn't Support the Software component they Support only complete Distributions. And i think this is the Reasson why they Release only an Archive for Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  AMD's failure to provide drivers to Fedora users is not because Fedora users don't want them. Some do. Some don't but it is not a monolithic entity.
                  RH don't want that Fedora is on the Supported List. So its not AMDs fault.

Comment

vaapi failure

Does anybody forced this new fglrx 8.840 to work fine with vaapi?
                    Right now it's only crashing in mplayer-vaapi and vlc here.
                    I'm using newest libva, xvba-video, vlc and mplayer-vaapi
                    Here's mplayer log: http://hpaste.org/45161

Not to mention some artifacts in kde 4 when kwin and 'Tear-Free Desktop' is enabled.

Other than this it seems to work fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X