Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avivo Driver Gets Shadow FB Support

Phoronix News: Avivo Driver Gets Shadow FB Support

Last week we reported that version 0.1.0 of the Avivo driver would soon be released and that following day were several noteworthy commits to the driver such as new PCI IDs added and cleaning up the code. Over the weekend, Alexander Larsson has added shadow frame-buffer support. To use the Shadow frame-buffer with the Avivo driver using the latest code from git, the ShadowFB boolean option needs to be added to the device section of the xorg...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! It is really fast now (compared to ShadowFB turned off). It is really useable now. Nice work!

Comment

I didn't install Fedora 7 yet (planned to do so today), but I will very soon. I might have a better experience with testing Avivo now

If anyone has a hint for me with this problem, tell me:

Hi everyone, I always thought that Fedora has a bad KDE integration and that this great distribution should be used with Gnome. But I am a KDE guy, I like Gnome, but I think KDE is much better and it will hype again when KDE4 comes out. I recently tried out the Fedora 7 LiveCD with KDE and was amazed how polished it was. Well, not as polished as some other distributions with KDE, but it was ok. GTK2 programs and configuration tools looked also ok, that is the most configuration tools of

Comment

In the old Fedora Core days you could install KDE, GNOME, and/or XFCE all from the DVD. Ah the days when there was the "Everything" option as well to install all packages on the DVD.

However, if you use Revisor you should be able to just master your own Fedora 7 KDE build with all the packages you want. Have you tried that approach?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, I've never tried that. Maybe I'll give a try later.

My "problem" is more a suggestion, because I love the default Fedora-Gnome installation with all necessary tools but you can also install all development tools to build programs. There is no such perfect way for KDE, but I read that they want to improve their KDE support in the next releases. I am awaiting a big KDE hype when KDE 4 comes out and that could give it a "kick".

Kubuntu will not offer KDE 4 as a default until October 2008 (!), but I bet Fedora 9 will, so it is a great chance for them. I wonder how the easy codec installation in Fedora 8 will look like.

Comment

Okay everyone,

I am currently running Fedora 7 with the latest avivo driver on my ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512. It does not start X when I set a proper resolution (it is 1360x768, I want 1280x1024) and my monitor keeps telling me that is uses wrong HorizSync and VertRefresh settings (I configured both in the xorg.conf and can chose them, but X server just crashes).

But I have no other screen corruption like these weird screenshots Michael did some days ago (btw. I am using KDE).

And when I enabled ShadowFB, the 2D performance was so much better. It is as good as fglrx now, well if not better, because everything is buttersmooth.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Okay everyone,

I am currently running Fedora 7 with the latest avivo driver on my ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512. It does not start X when I set a proper resolution (it is 1360x768, I want 1280x1024) and my monitor keeps telling me that is uses wrong HorizSync and VertRefresh settings (I configured both in the xorg.conf and can chose them, but X server just crashes).

But I have no other screen corruption like these weird screenshots Michael did some days ago (btw. I am using KDE).

And when I enabled ShadowFB, the 2D performance was so much better. It is as good as fglrx now, well if not better, because everything is buttersmooth.
              Did you try using xrandr to change the resolution or to specify the modes in your xorg.conf?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Michael, I've never tried that. Maybe I'll give a try later.

My "problem" is more a suggestion, because I love the default Fedora-Gnome installation with all necessary tools but you can also install all development tools to build programs. There is no such perfect way for KDE, but I read that they want to improve their KDE support in the next releases. I am awaiting a big KDE hype when KDE 4 comes out and that could give it a "kick".

Kubuntu will not offer KDE 4 as a default until October 2008 (!), but I bet Fedora 9 will, so it is a great chance for them. I wonder how the easy codec installation in Fedora 8 will look like.
                KDE 4 should be default in F8.

Comment

Did you try using xrandr to change the resolution
                  No.

or to specify the modes in your xorg.conf?
                  Yes, I could chose them after that in kcontrol and in settings-fedora-display, but it would hang X on restart.

Comment

And when I enabled ShadowFB, the 2D performance was so much better.
                    really? hwo much difference does it make?

i'm anxiously waiting for xv. but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X