Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HDMI Audio for Evergreen

Did anyone use kernel 3.4? I've given it a try but got into problem that I loss HDMI audio in kernel 3.4.

3.3.7 works fine. In kernel 3.4, the HDMI audio device is correctly found. But no sound is coming out (I've tried aplay with correct device number, try to unmute and all didn't work).

Heard that 3.4 give a performance boost for radeon driver, however, I can't use it unless HDMI audio is also working.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejuni View Post
    Did anyone use kernel 3.4? I've given it a try but got into problem that I loss HDMI audio in kernel 3.4.

3.3.7 works fine. In kernel 3.4, the HDMI audio device is correctly found. But no sound is coming out (I've tried aplay with correct device number, try to unmute and all didn't work).

Heard that 3.4 give a performance boost for radeon driver, however, I can't use it unless HDMI audio is also working.
    I can't see any HDMI/audio change between 3.3 and 3.4. Are you sure you use radeon.audio=1 for both kernels? If so, please create bugzilla report, I hope we'll solve this.

Yes I did. However I am using the mainline builds from Ubuntu. Let me see if I can do a recompile of the kernel to see if it is an issue with the options.

When you say bugzilla report, do you mean the one in Linux kernel? Or in freedesktop.org?

Yes I did. However I am using the mainline builds from Ubuntu. Let me see if I can do a recompile of the kernel to see if it is an issue with the options.
    OK. In case of real problems really helpful will be dump of HDMI regs from both kernels: 3.3 and 3.4. To make a dump, start playing audio and do "avivotool regs hdmi" (as root).

When you say bugzilla report, do you mean the one in Linux kernel? Or in freedesktop.org?
    The one you prefer

Can confirm this. HDMI audio is working on my box with 3.3.7 and 3.3.8 but not with 3.4.0.
    Last edited by schwarzygesetzlos; 06-13-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
    Can confirm this. HDMI audio is working on my box with 3.3.7 and 3.3.8 but not with 3.4.0.
    Please, report a bug at bugzilla (kernel of freedesktop). Please attach "dmesg | grep drm" as a good beginning.

To see what has changed, I'll need two dumps: one from GOOD 3.3.7 and one from BAD 3.4.0.

1) Install "radeontool" [0] tool in 1.6.3 version (or newer), it will provide 2 important tools: radeontool and avivotool.
    2) Start playing audio with 3.3.7 or 3.3.8 and do: "avivotool regs hdmi > good.txt"
    3) Start playing audio with 3.4.0 and do: "avivotool regs hdmi > bad.txt"
    4) Please attach both files to the bugzilla report

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/radeontool/

hi, kernel 3.5.0-rc2 audio evergreen work good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zajec View Post
    Please, report a bug at bugzilla (kernel of freedesktop). Please attach "dmesg | grep drm" as a good beginning.

To see what has changed, I'll need two dumps: one from GOOD 3.3.7 and one from BAD 3.4.0.
    Just wanted to collect the data as you suggested. Then to my surprise HDMI-audio worked with 3.4.0! Did not change anything in the kernel .config nor did a recompile. Interesting... Should I still open a bug if I hit 3.4.0 in a non-working state again?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
    Just wanted to collect the data as you suggested. Then to my surprise HDMI-audio worked with 3.4.0! Did not change anything in the kernel .config nor did a recompile. Interesting... Should I still open a bug if I hit 3.4.0 in a non-working state again?
    Yes, of course!