Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Linux compatible motherboard for Intel QuadCore LGA 775 board

Hi Gurus,

I am planning to buy a Intel Q6600 shortly. I want a linux compatible motherboard which is cheap and value for money(VFM).

* Some folks in my place suggest 'XFX nForce 650i Ultra ' . Though it works well for Windows, I want the comaptibility of this Mother board with Linux. I can load latest Linux-kernel.

* Also suggest me which installation Linux-version Fedora-{6,7},Ubuntu,Suse,etc is smooth and OK.

* Or if you have any other option on motherboards(which are powerful , yet VFM, please let me know.
    * Any other suggestions for Graphics cards(though Iam not hardcore games player), SATA/PATA drivess(and related driver problems for Linux), Sound-cards(if not integrated in MB) are heartily welcome

I am planning to use above machine for java-server-development/J2EE-server+DB, benchmarking Tomcat/Jetty/Glashfish/etc and also for trying Soalris 10.

thanks in advace

GSSM

GSSM,

Welcome to the Phoronix Forums.

Most motherboards using the nForce 650i Ultra or 680i should work out well under Linux with the newer distributions -- Fedora 7 or Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn. Some of the newer motherboards using the Intel Chipsets have some iffy compatibility problems. As long as you are running a newer distribution everything should be okay, but due to the easy ability of installing GlassFish and other Java packages with Feisty Fawn, you'll probably want to check that out.

Some of the recently reviewed motherboards at Phoronix can be found @ http://www.phoronix.com/?page=catego...m=Motherboards

We'll have some more motherboard reviews out later in the month.

Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for early reply.

Once I am finished with my buy, I will also give my complete hardware setup and the version of Linux/Soalris(in 2nd week of Aug).

thanks & regards

GSSM

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        GSSM,

We'll have some more motherboard reviews out later in the month.

Michael
        Hello all, Hello Mister Phoronix.

Is is possible to know which boards is it ? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by pingouin View Post
          Hello all, Hello Mister Phoronix.

Is is possible to know which boards is it ? Please.
          There is the ASRock ConRoe1333-DVI/H R2.0, ASRock ALiveNF7G-HDready, and some others. There are a few from Gigabyte (I believe one is a Intel 33 Chipset), but I need to check on what the other ones are that are still being tested or haven't arrived yet.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Hello everybody, Hello Mister Phoronix,

Many thanks for those informations.

I'm about to update my stuffs, thanks to your review, i finally decided to get an p5nEsli (i sooo need the 2 ide for my old drives).
            But it still will be a pleasure to read the next reviews done by Phoronix.

By the way - i know i'm not in the right post to do that, but it pops my mind) do you think an Geforce 8800 gtx will fit in the p5nesli without touching any composants or the ide port ? On the pictures it seems the graphic card will touch the condensator on the way at the right of pcie ( http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...5ne_corner_lrg and http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...p5ne_north_lrg)

Best to all.

Comment

pingouin,

You should be fine with the 8800GTX and the P5N-E SLI. As you can see by the way the IDE connectors are rotated 90 degrees, even though the graphics card will extend to that part of the PCB, due to the IDE orientation you should have no problems with the 8800GTX blocking the IDE connector(s).
              Michael Larabel

Comment

I have recently put together a box running Kubuntu 7.04 64 bit based on Asus P5K (Intel P35 chipset) with Intel E6420 CPU. It is used principally for development and running a rather large Java application.

Kubuntu installed effortlessly. The only hardware issue I had was lm_sensors (Linux temperature/voltage/fan monitor) which was resolved by installation of 2.6.21.5 kernel and the latest lm_sensors.

The only other issue was installation of 32 bit Firefox for Flash, Java etc. Java applets work fine in Konqueror with 64 bit Java, but Java web start does not.

The machine overclocked easily to 3.2 Ghz and has been completely stable. Memory is Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 running at 800 Mhz.

This system has 6 19" screens driven by two Nvidia NVS 285 PCI-E and one NVS 280 PCI cards using the Nvidia driver. It also has a Fusion HDTV PCI tuner which set up rather easily compared to the last time I set one up.

It has one Sata II Western Digital 160 Gb AAJS disk and an external USB disk for backup.

I can't find anything to complain about - it's all pretty good and damned fast compared with what I was previously using. And I mean fast - some of my Java code is running 20-30 times faster than on a Sempron which I at least partly attribute to L2 cache size and memory performance.

I'm aware that the E6420 CPU is not a quad as the OP requires, but I see no reason why a Q6600 (for example) should not work just as well in this setup.
                Last edited by quokka; 18 July 2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quokka View Post
                  I have recently put together a box running Kubuntu 7.04 64 bit based on Asus P5K (Intel P35 chipset) with Intel E6420 CPU. It is used principally for development and running a rather large Java application.

Kubuntu installed effortlessly. The only hardware issue I had was lm_sensors (Linux temperature/voltage/fan monitor) which was resolved by installation of 2.6.21.5 kernel and the latest lm_sensors.
                  Does this mean the OS can "underclock" the CPU & GPU automatically when idle?

Comment

Working...
                  X