AMD Catalyst 11.3 Drops Support For Old X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    AMD & NVidia keep noting OpenSuse support in first place on their main release page while ignoring that by now and for the past few years Ubuntu is the Linux desktop king so they should mention _it_ in the first place, not flame bait nor trolling, just a remark of their corporate specific behaviour.
    It could be that when they list the supported distros they just list them in an order other than popularity? Such as alphabetically maybe. It probably never occurred to them that fanboys would object if their distros not no.1. It seems very trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
      It probably never occurred to them that fanboys would object if their distros not no.1.
      Another example of how AMD doesn't understand the Linux market. This is sad on several different levels.

Comment

Does alt+tab on fullscreen 3d applications work with/without compositing? Will the fullscreen 3d application still be in the foreground on every workspace? Will the fullscreen 3d application still be not minimizable? Will you still have a chance to get some freezes when pressing alt+tab?

Come on, these are the easiest usability issues that fglrx have suffered for years now.

Comment

Segmentation fault with Ubuntu 10.10 and kernel 2.6.38.2, kernel 2.6.35.11 works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            AMD & NVidia keep noting OpenSuse support in first place on their main release page while ignoring that by now and for the past few years Ubuntu is the Linux desktop king so they should mention _it_ in the first place, not flame bait nor trolling, just a remark of their corporate specific behavior.
            Or.. maybe they still remeber when damn near all Linux development was funded by Red Hat and SUSE. They had paid developers working on damn near every major OSS project. Ubuntu rising through the ranks doesn't negate the years those 2 companies carried the entire community.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Another example of how AMD doesn't understand the Linux market. This is sad on several different levels.
            No, it's another example of how many spoiled entitled brats exist within the Ubuntu community. Nothing against the distro personally, but their users always seem to be in forums saying they deserve special treatment because "we use Ubuntu!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
              No, it's another example of how many spoiled entitled brats exist within the Ubuntu community. Nothing against the distro personally, but their users always seem to be in forums saying they deserve special treatment because "we use Ubuntu!!!"
              LOL. i knew my comment wasn't going to come through clearly. That's what i meant by several levels - it's sad that the Ubuntu community has those types of people in it. It's also sad that they're trying to drag AMD down into the mud, and it's sad that we have to comment on this.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                LOL. i knew my comment wasn't going to come through clearly. That's what i meant by several levels - it's sad that the Ubuntu community has those types of people in it. It's also sad that they're trying to drag AMD down into the mud, and it's sad that we have to comment on this.
                Agreed. Now let's hug and be friends.

Comment

Any of you guys noticed .
                  Ever since 11.2 the driver picks the wrong xorg on debian .
                  it should say xorg 7.5 but when i try to install it it says 6.9 .
                  I just running stock debian squeeze nothing changed but since the 115 updates last week this is a problem .

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Does alt+tab on fullscreen 3d applications work with/without compositing? Will the fullscreen 3d application still be in the foreground on every workspace? Will the fullscreen 3d application still be not minimizable? Will you still have a chance to get some freezes when pressing alt+tab?

Come on, these are the easiest usability issues that fglrx have suffered for years now.
                    Depends on what you mean with "work", I'll share my findings so far. Alt-Tab works (again) the same way it did in 11.1, I suppose (it broke in 11.2). This means:
                    • You can press Alt-Tab and get the other application on top of your fullscreen 3D application.
                    • It does not work when running a compositor.
                    • It will stay in the foreground when you change workspace.
                    • I have no clue if you can minimize, since I have found no way to do it. My bad.
                    • I have never had any issues with Alt-Tab and freezes. However, if I run Borderlands in Wine, it will stop updating the game most of the time if I press Alt-Tab or if something else (like notifications) pops up in front of the game. I had this issue in 11.1 too.

And I must agree, the lack of those somewhat fundamental features is very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                      It could be that when they list the supported distros they just list them in an order other than popularity? Such as alphabetically maybe. It probably never occurred to them that fanboys would object if their distros not no.1. It seems very trivial.
                      It's not about fanboys, though it's typical someone misjudging my point, it's about market share which is more important to users than what relationships company devs have among each other, trust me. It's like (but not exactly like) only mentioning your software supports Vista failing to mention it also supports win7 & XP both of which have a greater and more important market share. Nothing to do with habits, faboyism or company devs relationships.

Comment

Working...
                      X