Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.3.13 Brings Lots Of Improvements

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.13 Brings Lots Of Improvements

ReactOS, the free software operating system that aims to be binary compatible with Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2003 while being completely written from scratch, has a new release out. ReactOS 0.3.13 has nearly 300 bug-fixes including several prominent changes that have piled up since the previous 0.3.12 release last October. However, this Windows-like operating system is still considered to be in an alpha state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The NT architecture is the best and cleanest of every OS. Take a look at Linux. Holy shit.

But the implementatio by Microsoft realy sucks. I hope that this and the default Windows settings aren't tainting ReactOS but I bet it does.

Maybe ReactOS could be like having seperate OS personalities for 'Microsoft Windows' and 'ReactOS NT' and then completely sandbox the Microsoft Windows personality from the ReactOS NT personality (which is realy hard BTW because Windows does this for POSIX and other subsystems but not with it's own object orientated NT6.x design).

If they would also use the default Windows 7 GUI and extend the Windows management functionality then it could be truely a killer OS if they get their implementation straight.

Comment

umm... they aren't writing ReactOS because NT is the best OS out there......

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        umm... they aren't writing ReactOS because NT is the best OS out there......
        In fact, they are writing ReactOS because they believe NT is the best architecture out there.

Comment

They are writing ReactOS and WINE to have a free GPL win32 binary compatible Operating System (and libraries).

Comment

This release doesn't seem very stable... I can't install firefox 3 or 3.6 or opera 9.x or 11.x without it locking up or crashing. Off by one did install though.

And they claim better video driver support where does that come in to the picture? They certainly haven't updated the wiki to indicate this.

Comment

They are writing ReactOS and WINE to have a free GPL win32 binary compatible Operating System (and libraries).
              First, ReactOS and WINE are being written by different people. In fact, WINE is sponsored by CodeWeavers, ReactOS is completely donations funded, thus, they have no full time devs. Also, WINE is to make an API implementation (because of that, the NT kernel is just something like a wrapper, and not a real kernel), ReactOS is an OS, and tries to implement the full NT architecture. Because the designers believe is the best approach for desktop. If you don't believe it, you can read their website, their forums, their wiki, and all of them says the same.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                This release doesn't seem very stable... I can't install firefox 3 or 3.6 or opera 9.x or 11.x without it locking up or crashing. Off by one did install though.

And they claim better video driver support where does that come in to the picture? They certainly haven't updated the wiki to indicate this.
                Yes, that's what "alpha" means. Better than what? The "better" is better than the previous releases, no better than Windows.

Comment

Obviously, that's one motivation (the binary compatibility), but if that's the only one, why would they write a full OS from scratch. In fact, there is WINE...

Comment

meh... It seems more crashy to me even in qemu. I guess thier coverity scans need to keep poping bugs out of the works :P

Comment

Working...
                    X