No announcement yet.

Avivo Linux R500 Driver v0.1.0 Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are other bottleneck like some GL stuff which are not handled well enough currently (enemy territory use some of this). Anyway there is work underway to address most of pitfall of current open source driver. What is hard is that we need to keep backward compatibility so we endup doing crazy things just to make sure we do not break old things (new drm should work with new Xserver, new Xserver should work with old drm, new dri driver should work with old drm, ...).
    how can one identify bottlenecks in video card driver? i always thought it's nigh impossible.

is it mostly guesswork, or are there actual tools for the job?

While the glass may not be full of water, there is a water truck on the away.
    now that i think about it, why do we need a whole truck to fill a glass? :>

edit:
    on the away.
    on the away...ohh, i get it now.
    Last edited by yoshi314; 23 July 2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      how can one identify bottlenecks in video card driver? i always thought it's nigh impossible.

is it mostly guesswork, or are there actual tools for the job?
      Using a profiler will give place where we spend time and then we can look and check how we can improve this (ie on r300 oprofile shows that we loose lot of time uploading vertex: no memory managment) then we can also hook some performance counter in the driver to see how much time it takes to do somethings like uploading texture or others things. Last things hw have performance counter register to help find out how to optimize things for the card (unfortunately we don't have any informations on this registers anyway today most of the slowdown is in the software driver). Last tools are things like gldebugger.

Comment

Working...
      X